Trinity College Dublin

Skip to main content.

Top Level TCD Links

Nanoscience, Physics and Chemistry of Advanced Materials Junior Freshman Course Structure

Physics Chemistry Mathematics
Modules
Module PY1N10 - 10 credits Module CH1101 - 10 credits Module MA1S11 - 10 credits
The Physics of Motion (18 lectures) Introduction (8 lectures) Calculus with Applications for Scientists (33 lectures, 11 tutorials)
Hearing and Seeing (18 lectures) Introduction to Physical Chemistry (26 lectures) Discrete Mathematics for Scientists (33 lectures, 11 tutorials)
Astronomy and Astrophysics (9 lectures) The Electronic Theory of Chemistry (8 lectures)
Module PY1N20 - 10 credits Module CH1102 - 10 credits Module MA1S11 - 10 credits
The Material World (18 lectures) Chemistry of the Elements (12 lectures) Calculus with Applications for Scientists (33 lectures, 11 tutorials)
Electromagnetic Interactions (18 lectures) Introduction to Organic Chemistry (29 lectures) Discrete Mathematics for Scientists (33 lectures, 11 tutorials)
Origin of Modern Physics (9 lectures)
Practical Work and Tutorials
PY1N10 and PY1N20 Physics Practicals CH1101 and CH1102 Chemistry Practicals MA1S11 and MA1S12 Mathematics Tutorials
Physics Practical Laboratory (3 hours per week) Chemistry Practical Laboratory (3 hours per week) Mathematics tutorials (2 hrs per week)
Small Group Tutorials (1 hour per week) MA1S11 only - 1 computer practical per week
Online Tutorial Assignment - 1 per week
Assessment & Examinations
PY1N10 and PY1N20 MA1S11
The mark for each module is based in the following weighting of 60:30:10 for a final end of year exam, the practical laboratory work and the tutorial assignments. There is a separate three hour annual examination in May for each of the two Physics modules. The tutorial and continuous assessment including the laboratory practical count towards 25% of the mark for this module. The remaining 75% is based on a three hour annual examination in May.

MA1S12
The tutorial and continuous assessment counts as 20% of the mark for the module. The remaining 80% is based on a three hour annual examination in May.
Nanoscience and Advanced Materials Tutorials

These are special tutorials where we discuss nanoscience and materials science through the medium of special guest lectuers and reading assignments based on the themes of nanoscience and advanced materials. (0.5hr per week)

The webpage for these freshman tutorials in nanoscience and advanced materials is restricted to registered students of the course. The freshman students in each year are managed by their respective course coordinators for each year in the Schools of Physics and Chemistry and also by the N-PCAM Course Director.


Last updated 26 January 2017 NPCAM@tcd.ie.