Trinity College Dublin

Skip to main content.

Top Level TCD Links

Undergraduate Course - Course Overview

Nanoscience, Physics and Chemistry of Advanced Materials (N-PCAM) is a four-year degree programme, run jointly by the Schools of Chemistry and Physics at Trinity College Dublin and aided by the investigators and facilities of the Centre for Research in Adaptive Nanodevices and Nanostructures (CRANN). Students will gain a deep and lasting understanding of the science of advanced materials that underpins the nano revolution. Some laboratory training is provided in CRANN, the leading institute for nanoscience in Ireland (www.crann.tcd.ie). This degree programme will equip students to work across a diverse range of industries that employ nanotechnology. The course provides a solid foundation in Chemistry, Physics and Mathematics for the first two years and specialises in nanoscience for the final two years.

Course Overview - Freshman Years

In the Freshman years a student studying Nanoscience, Physics and Chemistry of Advanced Materials takes the full course in Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics as well as special topical tutorials in Nanoscience

The freshman students in each year are managed by their respective course coordinators for each year in the Schools of Physics and Chemistry.

Nanoscience Tutorials - Freshman Years

The details of the current Freshman tutorials in nanoscience are listed here. (TCD access only)

Course Overview - Sophister Years

Nanoscience, Physics and Chemistry of Advanced Materials is a moderatorship taught jointly by the Schools of Physics and Chemistry. The Sophister course booklet is available here:

Course Overview - Junior Sophister Year

In the Junior Sophister year a student studying Nanoscience, Physics and Chemistry of Advanced Materials takes specific parts of the Moderatorship courses in Physicss and in Chemistry that are relevant to Nanoscience and Advanced Materials. In addition, the student is trained in experimental laboratory aspects of Nanoscience, Physics and Chemistry of Advanced Materials in a dedicated laboratory setting.

JS marks contribute to 35% of the final degree mark, with the remaining 65% coming from the SS year.

Course Overview - Senior Sophister Year

In the Senior Sophister year a student studying Nanoscience, Physics and Chemistry of Advanced Materials undertakes a 12-week independent research project at an internationally recognised laboratory that specialises in aspects of nanoscience, advanced materials or semiconductor processing - typically outside of TCD. Students take the Moderatorship lecture modules relevant to Nanoscience and Advanced Materials from the Schools of Physics and Chemistry.

JS marks contribute to 35% of the final degree mark, with the remaining 65% coming from the SS year.

Assessment and Examination Procedures

In each year students are assessed by a combination of continuous assessment practical work, problems and annual end-of-year examinations. Modules in Physics and in Chemistry are examined according to the rules of the respective schools. On successful completion of the moderatorship and attainment of a II-2 or higher, the degree of B.A. (Moderatorship) in Nanoscience, Physics and Chemistry of Advanced Materials will be awarded. The final Moderatorship degree mark is a weighted combination of the year end mark in the SS year and the JS year. In the Senior Sophister year a special examination paper on scientific comprehension and problem-solving ability, together with assessment of the 12-week-long research project contributes 25 ECTS of the 60 available in the ratio 30:70, respectively.

Local information for registered Nanoscience, Physics and Chemistry of Advanced Materials students

Follow this link for local information for registered undergraduates. (TCD access only)


Last updated 10 September 2015 NPCAM@tcd.ie.