Department of Italian
Trinity has the world's oldest tradition of university-level Italian studies, dating back to 1776. Today, our core staff of 3 Italianists, ably assisted by an Italian Government lecturer, an emeritus professor, a postgraduate language assistant and a highly experienced language instructor, teach Italian from beginner to PhD level, and participate actively in Trinity's integrated spectrum of language-based cultural studies. In recent years we have played key roles in developing and sustaining interdisciplinary postgraduate courses in Medieval Studies, Literary Translation, Comparative Literature and European Studies.
Trinity College (established 1592) is exceptionally strong in languages: more than a dozen languages are currently taught in the School of Languages, Literatures and Cultural Studies, part of a large and diverse Faculty of Arts & Humanities. (For links, click on the left-hand navigation bar.) In Italian, we offer two four-year degree courses: the European Studies degree, and Italian language and literature as one half of a Two-Subject Moderatorship. Including postgraduate researchers, there are over 130 students in the Department.
Department office: Room 4087, Arts Building, Trinity College, Dublin 2, Ireland. Telephone and fax (+353-1-) 8962062 ||| Contact a staff member: please click here ||| NOTE: The current site design gives an incomplete listing of Department staff. Please see our COMPLETE STAFF PAGE. Comments and suggestions for the site are always welcome.
NEWS 2011: Speakers and events, Autumn 2011: Dante scholar Z.G. Baranski: READ MORE... 150 Years of Italian Unity: READ MORE... Italian Cultural Institute brings writers to Ireland: READ MORE... + Latest staff publications: Specchi di realtà; Calvino e il teatro; Una soluzione irlandese ...
NEWS 2008/09: Italian Department Honours: Commendatore, TCD Fellowship, Fulbright, IRCHSS Postdoctoral Award, Presidency of international Italian professors' association... READ MORE...NEWS 2007: The Severgnini-Borlenghi collection
A donation of books from the library of Aldo Borlenghi was installed in the Italian seminar room in Summer 2007. READ MORE...