Diploma in Old Irish
This course is intended to provide graduates in related disciplines with a solid grounding in Old Irish language and literature.
The course lasts for the two semesters of one academic year beginning in October, and requires full-time study. Candidates are assessed by an examination consisting of two three-hour papers.
- Applications are normally accepted only from persons with a good honors degree in a cognate subject such as Modern Irish or another Celtic language, medieval languages, literature or history, archaeology.
- Applications for admission must be made to the Dean of Graduate Studies by 30 June of the year in which admission is sought.
- Students will be admitted every second year. The next round of applications will be for 2019/20.
The course will consist of six contact hours per week, as follows:
- Introduction to Old Irish (2 hours)
- Tutorials in Old Irish (2 hours)
- Old Irish literature, including readings in lyrical verse (1 hour)
- Old Irish glosses and saga literature (1 hour)