School of English
December message from the Head of School,
Dr Eve Patten
As Michaelmas Term draws to a close I’d like to send all our staff, students and alumni warmest wishes for the season. We’ve had some wonderful events this semester and our final highlight for the year is the School of English Christmas Reading, 2013, ‘Childbirth in Poetry and Prose’, 6-8pm, Tuesday 17th December in the Graduate Memorial Building, TCD christmas reading. This is open to everyone so please join us for the readings and some festive refreshments, and to help raise funds for the Andrew Grene Foundation www.andrewgrene.org.
A reminder that all our events are listed on the School of English Facebook page. For information on how to apply to the School of English, please see www.tcd.ie/Admissions; www.tcd.ie/Graduate_Studies or www.tcd.ie/international
- A National Collection of Children’s Books.
Congratulations to Dr Padraic Whyte who has been awarded a major Irish Research Council Interdisciplinary Project Research Grant. His two-year project, organised in collaboration with the Church of Ireland College of Education, will document children’s book collections in several Irish institutions including Trinity College, the National Library of Ireland, The Church of Ireland College of Education, St Patrick’s College, Drumcondra and Pearse Street Library.
- The Beatles in 12 Movements…
Our weekly public lectures on the Beatles conclude Monday 9th December with Professor Richard Duckworth on ‘Let it Be’. Well done to Daragh Downes and Darryl Jones for this inspired series which has packed out the Long Room Hub every Monday evening, and thanks to all the speakers and audience participants. http://thebeatlesin12movements.blogspot.ie/
- The School of English, in association with the Trinity Long Room Hub, will host Between Places and Spaces: Landscapes of Liminality, a cross-disciplinary conference on 5-6 June 2014. We are currently accepting submissions for 20-minute papers on a wide variety of topics pertaining to space/place and theories of liminality. The deadline for submissions is 31st January 2014. For further information, please email email@example.com.
- Members of the School of English have published a number of reviews and articles online recently, including Philip Coleman, Gerald Dawe, Tim Groenland, and Nathan Hugh O’Donnell for the Dublin Review of Books, and Philip Coleman for Necessary Fiction. See www.drb.ie and www.necessaryfiction.com for more details.
- For more news and events please click here