The US$25 billion language services industry can reap billions in cost savings by identifying and removing inefficiencies that creep into the translation supply chain. In recent years, Welocalize, one of the world’s largest Language Service Providers has increased its use of machine translation (MT) to ensure clients get the best return on their multilingual content and improve translation efficiency.
Translators vary in their ability to leverage MT to improve translation speed, and current Computer Aided Translation tools cannot measure overall efficiency, making accurate MT assessment difficult. Welocalize collaborated with the CNGL Centre for Global Intelligent Content, a Science Foundation Ireland (SFI) funded research centre, to develop a tool that could measure and improve translation productivity and delivery.
Trinity Value Add
CNGL Researchers at TCD and Dublin City University partnered with Welocalize to develop the iOmegaT Translation Productivity Test-Bench suite of language tools, which gather and analyse translator activity data and calculate the effect of MT on translation speed. In 2011, working closely with CNGL researcher John Moran, Welocalize hosted the project onsite at its Dublin offices.
This automated approach for collecting speed data is a major improvement on current localisation industry reporting practices. iOmegaT helps to measure the success of MT programmes on translation speed and can increase productivity by reducing the time translators spend on onerous daily activity reports.
Critical Trinity Enablers
- Powerful combination of industry know-how and scientific excellence
- Multidisciplinary expertise across four of Ireland’s leading universities
- Track record in delivering timely innovations for corporate partners
- Global pioneers in language technology and intelligent content innovation
Industry Membership of SFI Centre for Science, Engineering and Technology (CSET), which provides direct input into collaborative research projects and preferential access to intellectual property. Commercial roll-out of the iOmegaT Test-Bench is facilitated by a SFI/Enterprise Ireland TIDA award.
- Welocalize will use iOmegaT speed data to calculate MT cost-benefit analysis, measure the success of MT programmes, and aid translators in defining fair pricing for post-editing
- iOmegaT is one of three language technology projects that CNGL is developing in close collaboration with Welocalize, in order to enhance the translation supply chain
"Collaboration between Welocalize and the CNGL has already generated significant research outcomes. We firmly believe that our productive relationship with the CNGL will accelerate industry advancements in order to revolutionize the industry."
Smith Yewell, CEO and Founder, Welocalize, Inc.