According to evidence from the tools used, this copy of the Baskerville Bible was probably bound at William Hallhead's bindery in Dublin in around 1775. The binding was commissioned by the book's owner, Sir Richard Cox of Dunmanway in County Cork, whose arms are present on a small brass plaque on the upper cover. The volume was later acquired by the Irish bibliographer E.R. McClintock Dix, author of many works about early Irish printing, who presented it to the Library in 1907.
During the second half of the eighteenth century there were several bookbinders working in Dublin who produced exceptionally fine decorated bindings. Trinity's Bible is one of the most outstanding examples of their work. Bound in full red Morocco leather, the covers and spine are a mass of gold-tooled decorations, each one of them expertly and precisely stamped by hand onto the leather.