Trinity College Dublin

Skip to main content.

Top Level TCD Links

Study Abroad

Trinity College provides study abroad opportunities for undergraduate students through formal agreements with a large number of partner institutions and details of thse are available on the Study Abroad webpage.

Study abroad for credit

Study abroad, which is normally only permitted at a foreign institution with which Trinity College has a formal exchange agreement, is governed by regulations which are set out in the General Regulations section of Part II of the Calendar in the section ERASMUS and Study Abroad.

All study abroad must be approved by the academic discipline(s) or school(s) in which the student is based before the end of the academic year immediately preceding the proposed period of study abroad, and notified to the International Office. A Learning Agreement, detailing the content, level and ECTS credit weighting of the programme of study at the host institution, must be completed and signed by the student and the member(s) of academic staff responsible at TCD; the Learning Agreement must be retained by the student’s discipline/course office, and a copy forwarded to the International Office.

Back to top

Study abroad at an institution with which Trinity College has no agreement for student mobility

Students in good academic standing who, with the approval of their school(s)/disciplines, wish to study abroad at an institution with which Trinity College has no student mobility agreement, may, through their tutor, apply to the Senior Lecturer for permission to intermit their studies and go off books, normally for a maximum period of one year. In such cases, there is no transfer of academic credit from the foreign institution to Trinity College.

Back to top

Last updated 3 May 2018