TriCON Doctoral Conference: Contesting Constitutional Governance
Friday, 9 June 2023, 9am – 7pm
A one-day conference organised by the School of Law.
Please register here.
9:00 Registration with coffee and tea
9:30 Panel 1: Balancing Rights
- Noha Eissa Zakaria Abdelsalam (TCD), Protecting Freedom Of Expression While Fighting Terrorism In Egypt
- Michael Coleman (UCD), Securing Non-Domination in the Social Republic: A Social Republican Theory of Rights
- Somshubhra Banarjee (UCD), Emergency Legislation and Competing Claims to Authority
11:15 Panel 2: Solutions and remedies
- Daniel Gilligan (TCD), Rights, Remedies, and Vindication in Irish Constitutional Law
- Leah Rea (Ulster), The (un)conventional approach? Exploring constitutionalism in the context of the application of constitutional conventions on matters of human rights in Northern Ireland
- Davy Lawlor (DCU), From Parliamentary Elections to the Criminal Code: the Value of Remedial Flexibility in Constitutional Review
13:30 Panel 3: Restraint, Activism and Discretion
- Anurag Deb (QUB) The Northern Ireland executive: politics, law and a rethink of judicial intervention
- Saoirse Enright (UL), Chief Justice Hugh Kennedy: An Omen for Judicial Activism?
- Aisling Ryan (UCC), Administrative Discretion at First Instance
15:15 Panel 4: Constitutional change
- Seán Rainford (DCU), Unfettered Amendability In Ireland: Past, Present, And (Possible) Futures
- Alex Layden (TCD), Irish constitutional legislation: a comparative analysis of legislation relating to the internal structure of the state, constitutional rights and state sovereignty
- Liam Edwards (Ulster), For Wales, see Scotland: Thoughts on Indyref2 and the effect of asymmetric devolution on the constitutional status of Wales.
18:00 Wine reception
Please indicate if you have any access requirements, such as ISL/English interpreting, so that we can facilitate you in attending this event. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Campus Location: Trinity Long Room Hub Arts and Humanities Research Institute
Room: Neill Lecture Theatre
Event Category: Conferences
Type of Event: One-time event
Audience: Postgrad, Faculty & Staff, Public
Cost: Free, but registration is required
Contact Name: Ursula Quill
Contact Email: email@example.com
More info: www.eventbrite.com…