Foundation Course - Mature Students
- Applications for 2019 have closed. Applications for 2020/21 will open in November.
Is this course for me?
The Foundation course was set up in 1997 to tackle educational disadvantage. It offers another way to third-level education for mature students whose social, economic and cultural experiences have prevented them from going to college.
Students can choose from two broad areas of study: arts and social sciences, or science. Throughout the course you have full access to all college supports and services. There are also TAP supports tailored especially for you.
Hear from our Mature Students
Mature Student Champions
This is a video series featuring mature students in Trinity College Dublin. We asked mature students to speak about their decision to return to education as adults and explain what a positive impact it has made to their lives to have the support of a champion along the way.
What's clear to see is that mature students come from all walks of life, study a huge variety of subjects and are proof that it's never too late to learn!
With thanks to the Trinity Equality Fund for generously supporting this video project.
What are the entry requirements?
- demonstrate a real desire to pursue a third-level course and the ability to do so.
- be 23 years of age or older on 1st January of the year you apply.
- be resident in Ireland.
- come from socio-economic background(s) under-represented in third-level education.
- be eligible for the Government Free Fees Scheme.
- If English is not your first language, you must submit evidence of your English language proficiency.
There are no standard educational requirements such as the Leaving Certificate or an aptitude test.
How do I apply?
- Complete the online application . Applications for 2019 have closed. Applications for 2020/21 will open in November.
- Include a short essay with your online application (maximum 550 words), about any topic that is currently in the news that you are interested in writing about.
- Give referee forms to two referees.
- Attend an interview if we invite you to do so.
- Use the Application Guidebook (PDF) to help you with your application and any questions you may have.
- For information on the Privacy Statement of Trinity College Dublin please see https://www.tcd.ie/courses/application-privacy-statement.php
Contact Sarah Grimson (Course Coordinator) or Grainne Mc Inerney (Guidance Counsellor) for further information: Email firstname.lastname@example.org Tel: 01 896 3472/ 3346
Visit the tcd.ie/courses for frequently asked questions and to apply for the Mature Students TAP Foundation Course for Higher Education.