Hazel Ann Smith
Clinical Lecturer, Paediatrics
Hazel A Smith started her post as Research Coordinator for the Paediatric Intensive Care Unit in Our Lady's Children's Hospital, Crumlin, in August 2016. Hazel's research role includes being the (Irish) lead investigator for both international and national studies. Hazel also supports home grown research and implementing the findings into clinical practice. Hazel teaches research methodology and has developed a short research course (accrediated by the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Ireland). Hazel is the co-author on the 'The Whitehouse Report: Review of research nursing and midwifery structures, strategies and sharing of learning across the UK and Ireland in 2017.' This report is the result of a project undertaken by Claire Whitehouse through the Florence Nightingale Foundation and sponsored by the then Chief Nursing Officer for England, Jane Cummings. Hazel sits on Temple Street Children's University Hospital Nursing Research Committee and UK Clinical Research Facilities Network (UK CRF) Theme 3 'Developing and sharing best practice for staff education, training and development'. Hazel is the Chair of the Irish Research Nurses Network and co-chair of research committee for the International Association of Clinical Research Nurses. Hazel is a published author and peer reviewer for both medical and nursing journals. Hazel is an international invited speaker (including for the World Health Organization). Hazel started her role as Adjunct Lecturer in Paediatrics in February 2017 and has also lectured, on maternal and child health inequities, for the Centre for Global Health, Trinity College Dublin.
DescriptionDevelopmental origins of health and disease; Epidemiology (including social epidemiology); Neonatology
- Prevalence of Acute Rehab for Kids in the PICU
- PARK-PICU (Prevalence of Acute Rehab for Kids in the PICU) is a point prevalence study to characterize the prevalence and characteristics of mobility as part of routine clinical care for critically ill children internationally. 82 US sites are currently signed on, and site initiation is actively ongoing in Canada, Europe and Brazil. (See: https://park.web.jhu.edu/)
- Nurse-led weaning from mechanical ventilation
- Multidisciplinary study to develop a nurse-led weaning from mechanical ventilation guideline for the cardiac PICU.
- Paediatric Intensive Care Audit Network (PICANet) Post Arrest Care in Kids (NET-PACK) Custom Audit Study (PICU)
- Multi-site study to investigate the impact and compliance with the new international guidance and research data on post-arrest care as part of the PICANet clinical audit function.(see https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/research/activity/inflammation-ageing/research/pack/index.aspx)
- NEURO-developmental Prognosis After Cardiac arrest in Kids (NEURO-PACK) Observational Study
- Multi-site study to identify a cohort of patients admitted to paediatric critical care after out-of-hospital and in-hospital cardiac arrest and collect important neurodevelopmental outcomes. This will create a derivation cohort to create a clinical prediction model.
- PIPPIN: Paediatric Intensive [care research] and Public Patient Involvement
- Establishing a PPI group for the PICU (this is a collaborative piece of work the HRB PPI Ignite groups)
- Children's Research Nursing Questionnaire
- Children's Research Nursing Questionnaire is being undertaken across the Children's Hospital Group to explore research activity and support structures for nurses working in children's services.
Chair (January 2019 - Now); Vice-Chair (February 2018 - January 2019) and previously Communication Officer (January 2015 - February 2018) for the Irish Research Nurses Network (https://irnn.ie/). Also sit on the Irish Research Nurses Network/Health Research Board Research Nurse/Midwife Support and Development Grant Committee
Member UK Clinical Research Facilities Network third workstream 'Developing and sharing best practice for staff education, training and development' http://www.ukcrfnetwork.co.uk/themes.html
Co-chair of the research committee for the International Association of Clinical Research Nurses
Committee member of the EnprEMA Research Nurse Group
Irish Research Nurses Network (https://irnn.ie/)
International Association of Clinical Research Nurses (https://www.iacrn.org/)