Who we are
Stripe is a financial infrastructure platform for businesses. Millions of companies—from the world’s largest enterprises to the most ambitious startups—use Stripe to accept payments, grow their revenue, and accelerate new business opportunities. Our mission is to increase the GDP of the internet, and we have a staggering amount of work ahead. That means you have an unprecedented opportunity to put the global economy within everyone’s reach while doing the most important work of your career.
About the team
Our internship program will provide an opportunity to work on meaningful products that will grow the GDP of the internet. Through the internship, you will work with many systems and technologies, gain experience in systems design and testing, and have opportunities to present your work to your team and the wider org. Each intern has a dedicated intern manager, and every project is part of the team’s roadmap and will directly help Stripe’s mission.
What you’ll do
Every internship at Stripe centers around a real, legitimate project that our customers urgently need, touching many parts of our operations and stack. We will support you in shipping it. Yes, you will actually ship it. Some recent projects include rebuilding our statistics aggregation service, building new service discovery systems, and many user facing projects like making it easy to understand error messages on Stripe Checkout. As a Stripe intern, you'll be tackling important projects to increase global commerce, while working alongside exceptional people who insist on doing their best work. You’ll learn from people with high standards who are great at inspiring others to do more and go further. We value technical and personal growth, and see our internship program as a vehicle to foster both.
- Write software that will be used in production, and has meaningful impact to Stripe
- Give and receive technical feedback through code reviews or design discussions
- Collaborate with other engineers and cross-functional stakeholders to proactively seek and incorporate feedback
- Learn quickly by asking great questions, by working with your intern manager and teammates effectively, and by communicating the status of your work clearly
Who you are
We’re looking for someone who meets the minimum requirements to be considered for the role. If you meet these requirements, you are encouraged to apply. The preferred qualifications are a bonus, not a requirement.
- A strong fundamental understanding of computer science through pursuit of a Bachelor’s, Master’s, or PhD degree in computer science, math, or a related discipline
- Experience from previous internships or other multi-person projects, including open source contributions, that demonstrate evaluating and receiving feedback from mentors, peers, and stakeholders
- Ability to learn unfamiliar systems and form an understanding of those systems, through independent research and working with a mentor and subject matter experts
- At least 2 years of university education, or equivalent work experience
- One or more areas of specialized knowledge balanced with general skills and knowledge, such as knowing more frontend technologies and, at a high level, how a service handles an HTTP request
- Understanding and some experience writing high quality pull requests, with good test coverage, and working knowledge to complete projects with minimal defects
- Familiarity with navigating and managing your work in new code bases, with multiple languages
- Ability to write clearly to explain your work to stakeholders, team members, and other Stripes