1831 – 1837 (c. 1772-1837)1
Bartholomew Lloyd was a native of New Ross, Co. Wexford and had been a Fellow since 1796. He was Professor of Mathematics (1813-1822), Professor of Natural and Experimental Philosophy (1822-31), and Bursar (1816-9). During this period he modernized the courses in mathematics and mathematical physics by introducing to the mathematical curriculum the new methods and notation of Laplace and Lagrange. By doing so he laid the foundations for the eminence of Dublin mathematics later in the century. The subsequent achievements of Rowan Hamilton, McCullagh and Salmon would not have been possible without his initiative. He had shown a versatility typical of his generation in adding the Regius Chair of Greek to his responsibilities for most of the years between 1821 and 1829. He was appointed Provost in 1831, and within six years effected a number of important administrative reforms which launched the College into the nineteenth century, and laid the foundation for its achievements and renown over the remainder of the century. He reformed the terms structure by introducing three instead of four semesters. Hilary term began on 10 January, Trinity term on 15 April, and Michaelmas term on 10 October. The change took effect in 1834, a year after the appearance of the first official College Calendar. Lloyd also introduced radical changes to courses and examinations by effectively distinguishing between pass and honors levels. His changes lead to further specialization at degree level, to the reorganization of the tutorial system, and the institution of new specialized professorships based on success in, or commitment to, research in the subject. Lloyd’s eminence was recognized during his provostship by his election as President of the British Association in 1835 and President of the Royal Irish Academy from 1835 to 1837. Provost Lloyd died suddenly on 24 November 1837 aged 65.
Oil on canvas