Trinity College Dublin

Skip to main content.

Top Level TCD Links

1711 - 1870


First medical building opened on August 16. The Building stood on a site now occupied by the Berkeley Library.


Death of Sir Patrick Dun, a leading physician in Dublin and former President of the College of Physicians of Ireland. He left a substantial bequest, part of which was used to support the appointment of three professors.


Rotunda Hospital, the first charitable maternity hospital in these islands, opened.


George Cleghorn appointed Professor of Anatomy and Chirurgery. He is credited with the first description of infectious hepatitis.


James Macartney appointed Professor of Anatomy and Chirurgery. He helped establish the fame of the medical school and he had a major influence on students such as Stokes, Graves and Corrigan.


Building of a new medical school known as Macartney's Medical School at the west end of the College.


Coombe Lying-In Hospital founded.


1827 Robert James Graves appointed Professor of the Institutes of Medicine (physiology/pathology). Graves achieved renown on both sides of the Atlantic as a clinical teacher as well as for his description of hyperthyroidism.


William Montgomery appointed first Professor of Midwifery (obstetrics). Montgomery wrote a classic book on pregnancy and delivery in 1837.


Sir Patrick Dun's Hospital established as a teaching hospital with funds derived from the Sir Patrick Dun's bequest.


William Stokes elected Regius Professor of Physic. He is acknowledged internationally as one of the founders of cardiology.


Robert William Smith appointed Professor of Surgery. He described Smith's fracture of the wrist and he wrote the first detailed description of neurofibromatosis.


Work began on erecting several new buildings for the medical school. The work proceeded over 30 years and resulted in the fine range of buildings now facing College Park on the west side.


Diploma of State Medicine (preventative medicine) established. It was the first in Ireland and Great Britain.

Last updated 21 September 2016 by Tercentenary (Email).