This new free online course is open to cancer patients, their family members and friends who are interested in learning more about radiation therapy as a treatment for cancer. Healthcare professionals outside of the field of radiation oncology are also very welcome to join this course. Trinity academics in radiation therapy have come together with experts to demystify radiation therapy as a cancer treatment. The course explores radiation therapy as a cancer treatment through the experience of two patient advocates who tell their stories of radiation therapy as a treatment.
At the end of this two week course learners will be able to:
- Describe the role of radiation oncology in managing cancer
- Identify the radiation therapy patient pathway
- Recognise the roles of the health care professionals involved in radiation therapy
- Discuss the safe use of radiation therapy in cancer care
- Explain the basic science behind radiation therapy
- Describe state of the art radiation therapy, such as personalised medicine
- Discuss upcoming biological and technological developments in radiation therapy
Register today on Futurelearn, the social learning platform, to access this free online course starting on the 3rd of September 2018
World Cancer Day Discipline of Radiation Therapy
Staff and students of the Discipline of Radiation Therapy recently took part in a social media campaign to highlight the Union for International Cancer Control’s World Cancer day, held every year on 4th of February. World Cancer Day aims to save millions of deaths annually by raising awareness and education about cancer, and promoting initiatives aimed at prevention and control of disease.