Dr McGowan graduated with a degree in physiotherapy from Trinity College Dublin in 2010. She worked clinically as a physiotherapist in New Zealand before returning to Trinity in 2013 to complete her PhD. Her doctoral research investigated leadership in the profession of physiotherapy in Ireland. Following completion of her PhD in 2017, Dr McGowan became a post-doctoral research fellow in the Department of Physiotherapy. Her current research is exploring leadership and leadership development in allied health professionals.
- Leadership Capabilities and Challenges in the Physiotherapy Profession in Ireland
Current research projects
- Systematic review - Leadership development of allied health professionals: a systematic review of educational content, programme designs, evaluation methods and outcomes achieved.
- Leadership development activities of physiotherapy managers – a qualitative study.
- An investigation of the leadership practices of physiotherapy managers and the engagement of clinical physiotherapists.
- Leadership in physiotherapy: the experiences of international physiotherapy leaders.