Practice Educators Resources
The Practice Educator’s role is to provide physiotherapy students with a learning experience within their specialty area, encourage and support students learning, and assess each student's clinical and professional competence within that area.
Practice Educators fulfil their role in partnership with, and with the support of, the Practice Education Team.
The students' level of competence is determined by the appropriate Common Assessment Form (CAF)
Practice Educators new to assessing students should consult with a member of the Practice Education Team when marking the CAF.
The Level 1 form should be used for : Placement 1
A list of the other documentation which should be completed for each placement is available here.
A variety of learning activities are recognised by CORU for Continuing Professional Development and can be added to your CPD Portfolio. Please click here for more information on these activities.
The Discipline of Physiotherapy supports physiotherapists in developing their role as practice educators through provision of study days, website and links to other online resources, local education sessions, on-site practice tutors, site visits from regional placement facilitators (RPF) and/or the practice education co-ordinator (PEC) as required.
Practice Education Study Days are run annually in conjunction with University College Dublin (UCD), to address the learning needs of all Practice Educators.
- Guidelines for Good Practice in Practice Education (PDF 384 kB)
- Practice Education Competencies (PDF 229 kB)
- Physiotherapy Competencies (PDF 276kB)
- Creating a Positive Learning Environment
- Making Your Feedback Work (PDF 666 kB)
- Assessing and Teaching On the Run
- Exploring Quality Feedback in Practice Education
- Time Management on Placement (PDF 612 kB)
- HSELand - HSCP Hub/Working with Students/Practice Educator
- Curriculum outline
- London Deanery
- Introduction to using the CAF (PDF 304 kB)
- Introduction to Peer Learning (PDF 1034 kB)
- Introduction to Peer Learning (mov)
- TCD Peer Learning Model (Firsthand 2015) (PDF 61 kB)
- TCD Student Pathways (PDF 449 kB)
- Practice Education Handbook 2022 (PDF 1.83 MB) (Local Access)
- Five Minutes Feedback Form (5MFF) (MS word 381 kB)
- Site Audit (PDF 131 kB)
- Student COVID-19 IPC checklist induction (MS word 45kB)
- Treatment Plan Template (PDF 32 kB)
- Daily Timetable Template (PDF 28 kB
- Key Behaviours of the Underperforming Student (PDF 66 kB)
- Risk of Failure (PDF 120 kB)
- Risk of Failure Log (PDF 121 kB)
- Supporting Students with Disabilities (CSP)
- Responding to Students in Distress
- Disability Awareness Pack (PDF 106 kB)
- Peer Learning Research
- International Placement
- Practice Educators Audit
- Standardisation of feedback form for all clinical sites
- Patient satisfaction with student care
- Students Perception of Practice Educators
- Student lead fracture clinic
- Inter-Professional Learning (IPL)
- Supervision Models
- Online Module - Feedback in a Clinical Setting
Password Protected contact Lucy Alpine