- Irish Scientists Fink Link between Motor Neurone Disease and Schizophrenia (March 2017).
- Thanks to all those who attended the study day on 25th November 2016 entitled "Managing MND: The Impact of Cognitive and Behavioural Change", in Beaumont Hospital which was hosted by Prof. Hardimanâ€™s MND Research Group as part of the development of an educational programme for healthcare professionals treating patients and families of people with MND. This was delivered as part of the HRB Knowledge Exchange & Dissemination Scheme (KEDS) grant which was awarded to Prof. Hardiman in February 2016. In conjunction with the study day a best practice guidelines booklet was also developed to provide a reference document for healthcare professionals around the issues presented at the study day. You can access the Best Practice Guidelines here.
- Congratulations to Dr. Peter Bede, Research Fellow In Neurodegeneration, Academic Unit of Neurology, Trinity College Dublin, who was awarded the ENCALS Young Investigator Silver Medal at the European ALS Consortium meeting in Milan on M ay 21 2016.
- Mr. Tom Burke, Academic Unit of Neurology, Trinity College Dublin, teaches at the ENCALS workshop on Neuropsychology, Milan 2016.
- Opening Session of ENCALS Meeting, Milan 2016, Chaired by Prof. Orla Hardiman and Dr.Vincenzo Silani.
- ENCALS group, Milan 2016, Chaired by Prof. Orla Hardiman and Dr.Vincenzo Silani.
- The Irish Motor Neurone Disease Research Group at Beaumont Hospital and Trinity College is developing an educational programme for people with MND and their families. Over the coming months, the research team
will host a series of meetings in Dublin, Athlone and Cork .
- The ALS Association awards Professor Orla Hardiman $199,984 to "Define and Address the Complex Needs of ALS Caregivers" (February 2016).
- The HRB Knowledge Exchange & Dissemination Scheme (KEDS) awards Professor Orla Hardiman €59,972 to investigate "Behavioural Changes in ALS: What Families and Healthcare Professionals Need to Know" (February 2016).
- Science Foundation Ireland awards Professor Orla Hardiman €807,000 to support research into the genetic causes of MND. The grant matched private contributions which has enabled the team to proceed with the implementation of Project MinE (November 2015).
- Professor Orla Hardiman, Dr. Niall Pender and Ms Marta Pinto-Grau have been awarded a competitive three-year funding from the UK MND Association to investigate the prevalence, nature and progression of language changes in MND, as well as its relationship with changes in other cognitive, behavioural and social cognitive processes (November 2015).
- Dr. Russell McLaughlin is awarded a highly competitive and sought after UK MND Association Junior Non-Clinical Fellowship (€380,000) which will help further his investigation into the possible overlap between MND and other diseases of the brain and nervous systems (November 2015).
- Mr. Tom Burke is awarded the Deirdre McMackin Memorial Medal for Excellence in the Field of Neuropsychological Research at the 45th Annual Psychological Society of Ireland Conference (November 2015).
- Mr. Tim Sheehy speaks about having MND and supporing Project MinE, an international initiative (October 2015).
- Irish Research Council Postdoctoral Fellowship €91,790 is awarded to Dr. Bahman Nasseroleslami and Prof. Orla Hardiman (September 2015).
- The Irish Motor Neurone Disease Association (IMNDA) and TCD MND Research, host a very special "Drink Tea for MND" event at Trinity College on Tuesday June 16th.
- The ENCALS meeting 2015 will be held at the Trinity College Dublin, Ireland, from Thursday 21th to Saturday 23th of May.
- New paper published in Neuropharmacology (print publication Feb 2015, volume 89, pages 193-203) identifies attractive therapeutic candidate for neurodegenerative diseases, such as ALS http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0028390814003311 and http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25281210.
- New DNA Mapping Project to Discover the Causes of MND Launched in Ireland (December 2014).
- Minister for Health, HRB CEO & Trinity School of Medicine Head take the Ice Bucket Challenge for MND, on Tuesday September 2nd.
- Professor Orla Hardiman, Staff and Politicians take on the Ice Bucket Challenge, in Front Square, Trinity College Dublin, on Friday August 29th.
- Professor Orla Hardiman will deliver her Inaugural Lecture entitled “Evolving Dimensions of Motor Neuron Disease: The Irish Story” at the Opening of the Academic Unit of Neurology, on Thursday, 11th September 2014, at 18.00 in the Tercentenary Hall Lecture Theatre, Trinity Biomedical Sciences Institute.
- HRB Research Training Fellowship €251,449 just awarded to Dr. James Rooney and Professor Orla Hardiman (PI).
- The Irish Motor Neurone Disease Association (IMNDA) and TCD MND Research, are hosting a very special "Drink Tea for MND" event at Trinity College on Tuesday June 17th.
- Dr.Marwa Elamin, Post Doctoral Clinical Fellow with the Academic Unit of Neurology, is awarded the Best Oral Presentation in her section at the recent ENCALS (European Network for the Cure of ALS) Conference at the University of Leuven, Belgium from May 22nd – 24th. The title of her presentation was “The role of behavioural change in ALS as a phenotypic marker for disease subtypes”.
- Professor Orla Hardiman will deliver a speech on the topic "Dementia - More than Memory" at Ireland's 4th National Memory Clinic Conference, May 16th 2014 at Terecentenary Hall, Trinity College Dublin (www.memoryclinic.ie).
- Professor Orla Hardiman and Professor Ian Robertson will give talks "Brain Aware: Learn to Value this Wonderful Organ and How to Look After Your Brain" as part of events for National Brain Awareness Week, Science Gallery, Trinity College, Thursday 13 March, 6.15pm-7.30pm.
- Professor Orla Hardiman delivered the keynote speech on Science, Medicine & the Media at the European Science TV and New Media Awards 2013 which was held in Lisbon on November 22nd 2013. She also successfully picked up the Best Presentation of / or by a Woman Scientist/Engineer for MND: The Inside Track, Independent Pictures for RTE Ireland.
- Frontiers in Neurology - 3rd Annual Meeting, Friday 15th November 2013,
The Science Gallery, Trinity College Dublin (PDF, 1.396KB).
- Leading Epileptologist Gives First John Kirker Memorial Lecture (October 2013).
- HRB Health Research Award €329,772 (July 2013).
- $100,000 from the ALS Association -The Milton Safenowitz Post Doctoral Fellowship for ALS Research (July 2013).
- $100,000 awarded from Thierry Latran Foundation (July 2013).
- New paper "Delineating the genetic heterogeneity of ALS using targeted high-throughput sequencing" published in the Journal of Medical Genetics (July 2013).
- Highlights of the 49th Irish Neurological Association Meeting which was held in the Biomedical Sciences Institute, Trinity College Dublin, on May 9th and 10th 2013.
- New paper on ALS published in Neurology (April 2013)
- Elan Funds a Clinician Scientist Research Fellowship in Neuroimaging (Oct 2012).
- Epilepsy Ireland - a new name!
- New paper on Human Genetics published in Human Mutation.