Proctorio for SoM Students
Online Exam Proctoring
In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, we introducedthe option to take exams online using Proctorio. After positive feedback from students, we are pleased to announce that online proctored testing will be the primary method for testing going forward.
Some of our current testing policies and procedures were designed around the logistics of in-person testing. As a result, there will be a policy change to include proctoring for online examinations starting January, 2021.
Because of recent limitations in access to testing centers, we are now offering online exam proctoring through Proctorio. The School of Medicine has a strong interest in making sure that exams are graded fairly and impartially, especially for online tests that students are taking remotely. Proctorio uses software, not people, to monitor for suspicious behaviours, so you can be sure that your exam was proctored fairly and impartially. Please be aware that when taking exams with Proctorio, Trinity College Dublin expectations for academic integrity still apply.
Each module co-ordinator will inform you about how they will implement Proctorio.
Technical requirements for Proctorio include a computer with a camera, microphone, Chrome browser, and stable internet connection.
Proctorio Quick Start
Guide for Test Takers - Blackboard
Proctorio is the leading Learning Integrity Platform, designed to securely expand learning opportunities for students everywhere. By using Proctorio, we are supporting equality in education, and in turn protecting the value of educational degrees. Your exam recording will be stored for 365 days after you sit your exam.
Sample Proctorio tests will be available either on your year overview module or within your course module on Blackboard, please contact your course co-ordinator or main exam lecturer if it is not on Blackboard. We strongly advise you to go through these pre-checks before your exam. By doing this it will pre-empt any difficulties you may encounter and ensure that you are prepared for your exam. Proctorio Support Centre is there for you 24/7 if you have any queries in relation to the Proctorio pre-exam checks. It is the responsibility of the student to ensure that you have downloaded all relevant software and are prepared for a proctored exam.
Proctorio Minimum System Requirements
Proctorio offers a flexible service, which may include recording of video, audio, and screen activity or none of the above. The system requirements are dependent on the exam settings. The School of Medicine will provide a sample test using Proctorio before your exams along with an instructional video.
For security and functionality, it is generally recommended that test-takers update their systems to the most recent operating systems as possible.
|Operating System||Windows 7+||macOS 10.11+||Ubuntu 18.04+||Chrome 58+|
|Processor||Intel Pentium or better||Intel||Intel Pentium or better||Intel or ARM|
|Free Disk Space||250 MB||250 MB||250 MB||250 MB|
|Free RAM||2 GB1||2 GB1||2 GB1||1 GB1|
|Upload Speed||0.092 Mbps - 0.244 Mbps2|
|Microphone||Any Microphone, either internal or external3|
|Webcam||320x240 VGA resolution (minimum) internal or external3|
- Free RAM is the minimum amount of memory that is not in use by other applications.
- Depends on the exam settings, secure browser has no upload speed requirement.
- Only required for proctoring, secure browser functionality does not require audio/visual recording.
Exam Preparatory – Configure your computer
You’re almost ready to start your exam!
First, make sure you are using Google Chrome. You can download Google Chrome and install it if you don’t already have it on your computer.
Then open Chrome and head over to getproctorio.com to install the Proctorio Google Chrome extension.
Make sure you have a properly working webcam and microphone and that you are using the latest version of Google Chrome:
Check to make sure your camera works in Chrome at https://webcamtests.com/. Click the "Test my cam" button and wait for the test to complete. During the test ensure that you are in a well lit room and the camera can see your face clearly. You can not wear hats or have any forms of earbuds or headphones in your ears. Head coverings, for example, the hijab is permitted.
Check that your microphone works in Chrome at https://www.onlinemictest.com/. Click the play button. If the lines move when you talk, your mic is working.
To update your version of Google Chrome go to
*If the camera or microphone are having any issues, please fix these issues before you start your exam
Information for Mac OS
The set up for a Mac OS is the same as the PC except the exam prechecks. The camera and microphone are straightforward, however when asked for the desktop screens share, Proctorio will prompt the user to accept opening <system preferences>, once it opens, the user clicks on the tick box beside Google Chrome, then save setting by unlocking the apple lock key icon of the window. The user is prompted to supply their apple password, then the user closes the lock again to save the changes.
It closes the system preferences and the user is back at the window to click on screen and share the desktop check. Once this is completed Proctorio finishes its prechecks.
Now, it’s time to take your exam!
- First, we recommend you restart your computer, which will free up available memory (RAM).
- Open Blackboard (where you would access your assignments & exams).
- Enter your module & select the right exam.
- Once you select the exam, Proctorio will start automatically.
- Before your exam begins, you will be taken through a series of pre-checks. From the first screen below, it shows you the settings in place and at the bottom there is also a warning that there isn't enough power and plug in your computer. These pre-checks will establish and verify your internet connection, operating system, camera & microphone. If you don't get a green pass, click the re-test button again.
You will be asked for permission for camera and microphone access. You must click allow to continue.
During the pre-checks you will be asked to share your screen. The “share” button will be disabled until you click on the screen you want to share. See the following screenshots:
STEP 1: SELECT THE SCREEN: STEP 2: CLICK SHARE:
Mac Catalina users may experience an error when attempting to share their screen. The solution is take the browser out of full-screen mode before sharing. To do this, move your mouse cursor to the upper left hand corner of the browser window, exposing the green browser window button and click it.
During the pre-test checks you will be asked for your student card. If it does not automatically grab your photo, click on 'manual' and it will upload.
The last screen is a exam agreement, there is an 'I accept and begin the exam now' button.
Once you’ve made it through the pre-checks, you are ready to go! Good luck!
Need support for Protorio?
If you need additional assistance, Proctorio's support staff is ready to help you! You can contact support through one of the following ways:
Proctorio's Live chat can be accessed by clicking on the extension icon and starting a chat once you are in the exam.
Email support at firstname.lastname@example.org
The School of Medicine will provide you contact information to speak to your exam lecturers, Blackboard support and tech support before your exam. Proctorio support will be provided on their chat line for proctorio issues only before the exam in the pre-check timeline and during the exam.
Are you being asked for a password?
You should not receive a password prompt. If you do, please contact our support via chat as noted under the Live Chat instructions. Also, here are additional steps to help resolve Password errors:
- Google Chrome Version - Please make sure that your Google Chrome is up to date. You can check this by clicking on the three dots icon in the top right-hand corner of your screen, then Help, then About Google Chrome, and the first thing you should see is your Google Chrome version. If it's not up to date, please select the option to update it.
- Re-Install the Extension - Please uninstall the Proctorio extension by clicking on the shield icon in the top right corner of your browser and re-install the extension from
- Clear Cache and Cookies - Head to the three dots -> more tools -> clear browsing data -> time range should be set on All-time -> Check Cookies and Cached images -> click clear data.
- Incognito Access - Some Proctorio features will require the use of incognito access. If your instructor has one or more of these features turned on, you will not be able to take an exam unless incognito access is allowed. When requested by the instructor, incognito access gives Proctorio permission to run normally in all tabs during an exam. For example, instructors may choose to track websites visited during the exam to ensure academic integrity. Incognito access permits this function in both normal and private modes. You can enable incognito access from the extension window.
- Click the Chrome menu on the browser toolbar at the top right.
- Select More Tools -> Extensions.
- Find the Proctorio extension and click on Details.
- Scroll Down and find Allow in incognito section.
- Toggle it on
- Site Access - Make sure that the Proctorio extension is allowed on all sites. To check this, please go to the three dots icon in the top right-hand corner of your browser -> More Tools -> Extensions, and you'll see the list of all extensions installed. Locate the Proctorio extension, click on Details and in the "Site access" section choose "On all sites". After any of these steps, please refresh the exam page to check if the issue is fixed.
- Disable all Extensions Except for Proctorio - In the extensions tab, check your extensions and disable all except Proctorio (one could potentially block Proctorio). Head to the three dots in the top right corner of your Chrome browser -> More Tools -> Extensions.
- Turn notifications off
1. On your computer, open Gmail.
2. In the top right, click Settings. See all settings.
3. Scroll down to the "Desktop notifications" section.
4. Select New mail notifications on, Important mail notifications on, or Mail notifications off.
5. At the bottom of the page, click Save Changes.
Stop the Windows Update Service
1. Open the Run command (Win + R), in it type: services. msc and press enter.
2. From the Services list which appears find the Windows Update service and open it.
3. In 'Startup Type' (under the 'General' tab) change it to 'Disabled'4. Restart.
- Restart your computer - Computers need to be restarted if they have not had a reboot in awhile. If the password prompt is still displaying, fully restart your computer which will close any open applications. Once restarted, head back to the exam within Blackboard.
- Reset your Google Chrome - Head to the three dots in the top right corner of your Chrome browser -> Settings -> Scroll down to Advanced Settings and click it -> Restore settings to their original defaults. You will have to add the Proctorio extension again. Add the extension here. Once you have added the extension, go back to the exam page, reload it and try again.
- Proxy Settings - Proctorio doesn't encourage the use of virtual proxy networks. It will be necessary to disable them if you're experiencing issues with your connection. For help disabling local proxy software, please see the following guides:
- Disable Local Proxy Server (Windows).
- Disable Local Proxy Server (Mac OS X).
Add another Google Account - Sign in with your Google account. Select your image from the top right corner and select Manage Account -> Add Account. Add the Proctorio extension and open Blackboard. Try to start the exam.
Taking an exam in Blackboard
You will first log into Blackboard and navigate to your module.
Navigate to your exam inside of your module.
You will select “Begin” to start the Proctorio pre-checks.
You will not be required to enter a password, the Proctorio Extension will handle this for you. You will begin the Proctorio Precheck process and the Diagnostic Test. This will ensure everything is working properly based on the quiz or test settings before starting the assessment/exam timer.
Important privacy information you should know:
- No personal information required - We never require the collection of personally identifiable information (PII).
- We will tell you before we record any exam data - No one is watching you and there are no programs running in the background. Proctorio is only running while you take your exam. Once you are done it turns off.
- We utilize Zero-Knowledge encryption to keep your data safe. - Zero-Knowledge means we know nothing about the encrypted data on our servers. This unique design means nothing leaves your computer until after it is encrypted and it is never unencrypted until it is unlocked by an authorized school official. It's not just end to end encryption, it's a zero-knowledge system.
- This means only your instructor or approved individuals at your institution have access to your exam recordings & data.
Because Proctorio runs as a Google Chrome extension, you can uninstall and install it whenever you want. It is also important to remember that all exam settings are determined by your instructor and/or your school, not Proctorio.
Proctorio-School of Medicine Privacy Notice
Proctorio-School of Medicine Privacy Notice (MS Word 40kB)
Proctorio Support, FAQs and Local Support Details
- For more information on Proctorio Support go to: https://proctorio.com/support
- For Frequently Asked Questions on Proctorio https://proctorio.com/frequently-asked-questions
- College ITS Online Assessments
- College Disability Service - Online Learning