In early 2021 IReL introduced a number of new transformative open access agreements. This is a major development for the Irish research and publishing landscape and there has been an unprecedented uptake of open access publishing. To date IReL has enabled 24 such agreements across many disciplines, helping to ensure that Irish research is available to the broadest possible audience.
While some of these agreements allow unlimited OA publishing, several are based on a fixed number of OA articles per year, and in several cases our allocations for 2022 are due to run out in the coming weeks. Once this happens, these publishers will cease offering immediate OA on publication without charges. From January 2023, they will resume offering OA with a fresh 2023 allocation.
The agreements which will run out in the coming weeks are:
- Wiley fully-OA journals – from late July. See items marked as “Wiley – fully OA journals” in the list.
- Springer – from late August
- ScienceDirect Elsevier – from late August
List of journals covered by the IReL agreements.
There remain alternative ways for you to make your work open access:
- Submitting to the institutional repository, TARA (instructions).
- If your publication was a result of funding, you may be able to use part of that funding to pay an article processing charge.
If you would like further information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org