Continuing our Tercentenary celebrations, we are pleased to draw attention to a new exhibition in the Long Room, ‘Drawn to the page: Irish artists and illustration 1830-1930‘. It has been curated by Dr. Angela Griffith and Dr. Philip McEvansoneya with assistance from staff in the Department of Early Printed Books, especially Dr. Lydia Ferguson. The exhibition emphasises the important contribution made by Irish artists in the period known as the heyday of European book and periodical illustration.
It is the first exhibition of its kind to be undertaken in Ireland, drawing together a broad range of published designs by Irish artists. The works in the exhibition have been selected entirely from the rich and varied holdings of the College Library.
Among the artists included are: Daniel Maclise, George Petrie, William Mulready, Charles M. Grey, F.S. Walker, Margaret Stokes, Robert Goff, Myra K. Hughes, Jack B Yeats, Elizabeth C. Yeats, Harry Clarke, Joseph Campbell, Robert Gibbings, Mabel Annesley, and E M O’Rourke Dickey.
The exhibition shows the use of colour in illustration, from the meticulous application by hand by the staff of the Cuala Press to technological developments that gave Goff the artistic freedom to create richly coloured, painterly designs. The exhibition runs until 21 April 2013. For more information on this and past exhibitions please see our Exhibitions & Events page.
The exhibition currently on view in the Long Room is part of a programme of events celebrating the tercentenary of the Old Library building, whose foundation stone was laid on 12 May 1712. The display showcases manuscripts, early printed books and College Archives from the Library’s holdings, and tells the story of the building’s construction, its collections, and the people associated with it over the centuries. Also on view are several items associated with the early Library, which was housed – it is believed – in a building where the present-day Examination Hall stands. Among the exhibition highlights are: the 12th-century West Dereham Bible; the 16th-century Book of the de Burgos; two sumptuously-illuminated 15th-century French books of hours; a first edition of Martin Luther’s Old Testament; fine bindings from the collection of the 18th-century connoisseur Henry George Quin; and books and manuscripts from the superb Fagel Library. There is also a fine 19th-century painting of the Library by J A O’Connor, which shows the building as it would have looked before any dramatic exterior alterations; as well as Library-related College records, such as catalogues, a 17th-century salary statement, tradesmen’s accounts, and photographs.
This exhibition will be on display in the Long Room, Trinity College Old Library until October 2012.
A small exhibition of printed editions of works by Shakespeare is now on display in two exhibition cases at the far end of the Long Room. This mini-exhibition has been organised to coincide with the Dublin Shakespeare Festival which takes place in the Front Square of Trinity College from 6th to 16th June. The exhibition includes a copy of the first collected edition of Shakespeare’s Works, printed in 1623 and commonly known as the First Folio, as well as a copy of the second edition of 1632. Also on display is a very fine illustrated edition of the dramatist’s works published in London in 1802 and separately printed Dublin editions of ‘Hamlet’, ‘The Merchant of Venice’ and ‘The Tempest’, dating from the second half of the 18th century.
The full programme is now available for TCD Library’s Tercentenary Conference, ‘Building Collections: 300 years of the Old Library’, which takes place on 25th June.
Featuring internationally renowned speakers, the conference is part of a series of events commemorating the laying of the foundation stone of the Old Library in 1712.
Toby Barnard, Bernadette Cunningham, Jane Ohlmeyer, Marianne Elliott, David McKitterick, Elizabethanne Boran, Charles Benson, and Peter Fox will all be giving papers. And if that’s not enough to entice you to register, delegates are invited to attend a celebratory reception in the Long Room that evening, during which Dr Edward McParland will give an address.
2012 sees a special anniversary for Trinity College Dublin, with the celebration of 300 years since the laying of the Old Library’s foundation stone. The tercentenary celebrations include an exhibition in the Long Room which is part of the ‘Dublin: One City, One Book’ event. One City, One Book encourages everyone each year to read the same book during the month of April and this year Dubliners was chosen. The focus of this display is the life and works of Joyce and highlights places and events associated with the 1914 publication. The exhibition of 13 items includes an early printing of Ulysses signed by Joyce and a contemporary map of the city to help visitors plot the various locations referred to in the text. The exhibition runs for the month of April.