Skip to main content

Trinity College Dublin, The University of Dublin

Menu Search

London Olympics, 1908

You may have noticed that the Olympics are being held in London this year …

To mark the occasion we are displaying an edition of the ‘Illustrated London News’ in the exhibition case in the foyer of the Berkeley Library, giving details of the dramatic finale to the Marathon in the 1908 Games, which were also held in London.

Unlike the four-year gap between modern Games, the London Olympics in 1908 came only two years after Athens. They were initially planned for Rome, but an untimely eruption of Mount Vesuvius in 1906 redirected Italian government funds elsewhere. Given the deluge of rain that occurred in London over the two-week period, Rome must have seemed even more appealing in hindsight.

In addition to sport and the weather, politics made its presence felt. Finland, at the time an autonomous Grand Duchy within the Russian Empire, marched flagless in the opening ceremony because Russia, through diplomatic channels, had insisted the Finns should march under a Russian banner. Irish contestants paraded under a Union Jack and were disgruntled that their efforts would add to the haul of medals for Great Britain.

Political decisions were not the only ones to see disfavour. The 400 metres final ended in a walkover for British athlete W. Halswelle as J.B. Taylor and W.C. Robbens, both from the USA, withdrew in protest over the disqualification of their compatriot J.C. Carpenter.The biggest controversy, however, was in the marathon. Lining up with 74 other contestants, Italy’s Dorando Pietri entered the Olympic Stadium in the lead and looking exhausted. On the final stretch he fell several times and was supported by confused officials. This led to his disqualification. Queen Alexandra was reportedly greatly moved by Dorando’s show of courage in completing the race, and awarded him a gold cup.

Here are the pages displayed in the case, plus a couple of bonus images.

Shakespeare Exhibition now on display

A small exhibition of printed editions of works by Shakespeare is now on display in two exhibition cases at the far end of the Long Room. This mini-exhibition has been organised to coincide with the Dublin Shakespeare Festival which takes place in the Front Square of Trinity College from 6th to 16th June. The exhibition includes a copy of the first collected edition of Shakespeare’s Works, printed in 1623 and commonly known as the First Folio, as well as a copy of the second edition of 1632. Also on display is a very fine illustrated edition of the dramatist’s works published in London in 1802 and separately printed Dublin editions of ‘Hamlet’, ‘The Merchant of Venice’ and ‘The Tempest’, dating from the second half of the 18th century.

Australian Ambassador Visits Trinity

Susie Bioletti, Robin Adams, Meg Johnson, and Bruce Davis looking at the display honouring ANZAC day in the Berkeley foyer.
Susie Bioletti, Robin Adams, Meg Johnson, and Bruce Davis. Photograph by Sharon Sutton.

Last Friday the Australian Ambassador, Bruce Davis, accompanied by Meg Johnson, visited the Library. They were met by the Librarian, Robin Adams, and the Keeper of Preservation & Conservation, Susie Bioletti, who first showed them the display honouring ANZAC day in the Berkeley Library foyer and then brought them to the Henry Jones Room where Helen Beaney from the Department of Early Printed Books and Special Collections had laid out a number of items relating to 19th century Australia, including settlement, exploration, birds and mammals. After some time perusing and discussing this material, the party continued to the Long Room to visit the Tercentenary exhibition.