[May 6th 1916]
unusual spectacle on our approach to camp, for all our previous encampments were vague locations on the bank of the river with nothing to distinguish them from the surrounding desert. The Arabs had given names to these indefinite areas, but for all we could see in the absence of any distinctive feature, each of these camps by the river might be where we pitched out tents or anywhere in advance or in rear, for it was all the same, a line of unbroken desert fringed by lapping waters.
But Khamsieh was something different. Here was a real place, an actual landmark on our road. In the distance we saw the green trees with houses peeping between the branches. On approaching it we found a village; the first habitation we have