[April 11th 1916]must depend on the relief or surrender of Townsend. The probable effect on us will be that, if Kut is relieved, we will join the Tigris Army; if lost, we will be sent to Nasiriyah to hold the junction of the Shatt-al-Hai with the Euphrates and prevent any Turkish force turning our flank through Nasiriyah and taking the army in rear.
Wednesday; April 12th 1916: Basra
More rain; more quagmire. No news from the Tigris force. This is ominous as the best was expected. Rumour has it that the TIgris is in flood and the deluge has checked our progress. Let us hope this is pure pessimism. If it be truth then I fear the consequences are fatal; Kut will be gone.