Guide to the Catalogues
Titlepage of Catalogus Librorum in Bibliotheca Collogii..., the first printed catalogue of Trinity Library, Dublin, Johannis Hyde, [c. 1715]. Q.aa.20
Not all material held by the Department of Early Printed Books and Special Collections is currently listed in the main Online Catalogue. Readers may also need to consult the 1872 Catalogue Online and the Accessions Catalogue.
Stella Search works like a search engine. The most relevant results are listed and can then be refined using the word tags and options presented on screen.
- Contain materials catalogued by the Library since 1963. The publication year may be any date (including pre-1963)
- Provide detailed catalogue records for much Early Printed and Special Collections material
- Allow limiting of searches by language, date and to Special Collections material
If unsuccessful in finding an item when limiting a search to Special Collections, please try the search again selecting the cross to the right of Special Collections to clear the limit to that section of material.
A digitised and fully searchable version of the Printed Catalogue.
- Lists works catalogued by the Library up to 1872
- Does not list any material published after 1872
If you are looking for a work published pre-1872 Stella Search and/or the Accessions Catalogue may need to consulted, if the work was catalogued after 1872.
About 80% of the half-million records in the Accessions Catalogue have been converted into records now in Stella Search, mainly following two retrospective conversion programmes during 1996-2009. However, there are still entries in the Accessions Catalogue for Library books not recorded elsewhere; unfortunately, these entries are distributed across the whole catalogue and are not easily identified. Works listed in the Accessions Catalogue are still being added to Stella Search on an ongoing basis.
In the meantime, we have made the entirety of the Accessions Catalogue available online. Links to individual sequences may be accessed from our Accessions Catalogue page.
The Accessions Catalogue:
- Lists works catalogued by the Library between 1873 and 1963
- Entries arranged alphabetically by author
- Provides limited listings by subject
- Does not list any material published after 1963
There are many bibliographies and catalogues in the Early Printed Books Reading Room.
TARA (Trinity's Access to Research Archive) Institutional Repository
TARA provides access to the Library's Special E-Collections.
The Library's growing number of Special E-Collections include:
- Aibidil Gaoidheilge, & caiticiosma
The first book to be printed in Ireland in the Irish language
- The Nicholas K. Robinson Collection of Caricature
- Taylor and Skinner's Maps of the Roads of Ireland
- An Hibernian Atlas, Or, General Description of the Kingdom of Ireland