IT Security - How to report a Phishing Email
Everytime you report phishing emails it helps to:
- Identify and block similar emails in the future
- Reduce the overall amount of spam/phishing email being delivered to Trinity email accounts
Steps to report an email as spam/phishing:
Staff - using Outlook on your computer
- Save the spam/phishing email message - in Outlook this would mean opening the email to view it and then choosing File - Save As and saving it to your computer
- Create a new, blank email message and attach the saved spam message to it
- Copy and paste the original spam message subject line into the new message subject line
- Send the new message to email@example.com
Staff - using Office365
- Login to your email using Office 365 mail.tcd.ie
- Find and click on the phishing message, click the down arrow next to Junk, and then click Phishing
- Open your email on MyZone.
- Open the email you'd like to report.
- At the top right of the message next to the Reply button, click the down arrow.
- Select Report Phishing.
To view email headers Office 365 - Mail (mail.tcd.ie)
- Open a web browser and log into your mail at http://mail.tcd.ie
- Select the phishing message and take caution to not click on any links within the message.
- Within the preview pane, click on the down arrow next to Reply/Reply All and select View message details
- A Message details window will appear containing the header information of the message. Please copy the entire contents and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org
To view email headers for Outlook for Windows
- Select the phishing message and take caution to not click on any links within the message
- Click File tab in the top left of the message
- Choose Properties from the bottom of the list and you'll see Internet Headers listed at the bottom
To view email headers for Outlook for Mac
- Ctrl-click the message within your folder listing
- Select View Source from the drop-down menu. A window will open showing the header information of the selected message.