The Virtual Private Network (VPN) service allows Trinity staff to make a secure, encrypted connection to the Trinity data network from a remote location, such as from home or abroad.
Staff using the VPN service are able to remotely access Trinity network services which are usually restricted to those who are situated in their office on campus.
To request initial connection to the VPN service, fill out the VPN connection request form.
Once your computer has been configured by the IT Service Desk, there are additional steps you must take in order to connect to the VPN service.
Please see our Staff VPN service guide for instruction on how to use the service.
This service is currently only available to registered Trinity staff and can only be setup on Trinity-owned computers (preferably which have the Trinity software image installed), are networked and so fully compliant with our network security policies including being added to the College domain.
The following operating systems are supported on the VPN service:
- Windows 11 Pro and Windows 11 Education - See supported versions
- Windows 10 Pro and Windows 10 Education - See supported versions
- Windows 8.1 Pro - See supported versions
- macOS Catalina (10.15) or later - See supported versions
Windows computers, being used remotely, are required to connect to the VPN for at least one hour each working day to ensure the necessary security updates are received.
If working remotely, what services do I need a VPN for?
If working remotely, you will only need a VPN to access the following services:
- Windows security updates:
- To receive Windows security updates remotely, you are required to be connected to the VPN for at least one hour each working day.
- Network files and file storage
- Webauthors making live changes to the webpages
- Trinity business applications:
- FIS (if you prepare POs)
- SITS (client-only, Academic Registry)
- CMIS timetabling
- HR users of SODMS
You won't need a VPN to access lots of other services that are hosted in the 'cloud'. An example would be your email, OneDrive, Teams, Blackboard Learn VLE, Panopto, etc.
Search the Knowledge Base for answers to commonly asked questions. Still need help? Contact the IT Service Desk by one of the below methods. Service desk opening hours are:
Need further help?
Monday - Thursday: 9.00am - 5.30pm
Friday: 9.00am - 5.00pm
Search the Knowledge Base for answers to commonly asked questions.
Still need help? Contact the IT Service Desk by one of the below methods.
Service desk opening hours are: