TCDconnect - How to connect Kindle devices to student Wi-Fi network
In order to successfully follow the steps below you must be in an area of Trinity with Wi-Fi coverage (see the Trinity Wi-Fi coverage information page). Once you have completed the first set of steps below you will be able to register your device for the TCDconnect service, connect to the Trinity student Wi-Fi network and gain fast, secure internet access. Those using the service are assumed to have read and agreed to the terms and conditions.
The connection process is a self-service process to connect to the student Wi-Fi network, as outlined below.
Step 1: Configuring your Kindle device to connect to TCDwifi:
If you wish to connect a Kindle Fire tablet device please follow the connection process for Android.
- Select the main menu (three lines) then select Settings
- Select Wi-Fi Networks, then select Other
- Enter TCDwifi as the Network Name, then select Advanced
- Scroll down and select the following settings:
- Select Connect (if you get an error message please see the note* below)
Security Type: WPA2
EAP Method: PEAP
Phase 2 Authentication: MSCHAPv2
Username: Enter your Trinity username (do not include the @tcd.ie)
Password: Enter your Trinity network login password
*If you see the following message after step 5 then choose Set Up and ensure the settings are correct, then try connecting again. Ensure that WPA2 (not WPA/WPA2) is selected for Security Type.
Your Kindle is unable to connect to the Wi-Fi network "TCDwifi". Enterprise Wi-Fi
networks are not supported on Kindle. Try connecting to another network. If you
have issues connecting your Kindle to Wi-Fi, you can find help at
Step 2: Register your Kindle device on the TCDconnect service.
- Launch a web browser, browse to https://tcdnac.tcd.ie and you'll be brought to the TCDconnect service terms and conditions page. Follow the web page instructions until you come to the main Registration web page and in the box towards the end of the page enter the short version of your Trinity username (e.g. jbloggs and not firstname.lastname@example.org) and your network login password and hit Download.
- The TCDconnect registration success page will be displayed and in around 90 seconds you will have internet access.
- Close and relaunch the Safari app and you will have internet access - you are now fully connected to the TCDwifi student network and once you are in range of a TCDwifi hotspot you will connect automatically.
Important to know: If you do not use the TCDconnect service for 40 days you will need to re-register by repeating the steps above.
If you encounter difficulties connecting to the TCDconnect service please check the TCDconnect FAQ.
TCDconnect network clinic
If you still need assistance then please visit the TCDconnect network clinic to get one-to-one support for this service.