TCDconnect - How to connect Android devices to student WiFi network
In order to successfully follow the steps below you must be in an area of Trinity with Wi-Fi coverage (see the Trinity Wi-Fi coverage information page). Once you have completed the first set of steps below you will be able to register on the TCDconnect service, connect to the Trinity Wi-Fi network and gain fast, secure internet access. Those using the service are assumed to have read and agreed to the terms and conditions.
Note that the exact steps may vary slightly depending on Android version and device. Broadly speaking there are three steps to carry out in order to get connected:
- Connect your Android device to TCDwifi
- Register your device on the TCDconnect service
- Set a device PIN/password to protect the security of your device in case of theft or accidental lost
Step 1: Connecting your Android device to TCDwifi:
- Choose the Settings icon and under the wireless and networks section choose Wi-Fi.
- Choose TCDwifi from the list of available networks.
- For Identity enter your College username e.g jbloggs and not email@example.com.
If you are prompted for Phase-2 authentication choose ‘MSCHAPV2’ and if you are prompted for CA Certificate choose ‘Do not validate’.
- For Password enter your network login password.
- Click Save.
- After a short period of time you will see under Wi-Fi in the Settings app that you are connected to the registration TCDwifi student network. Note that to see this you must be in range of a TCDwifi hotspot.
Step 2: Register your device on the TCDconnect service.
- A TCDconnect service terms and conditions web page should appear automatically. Follow the web page instructions until you come to the main registration web page. If the page doesn't appear automatically, launch a web browser, browse to https://tcdnac.tcd.ie and you'll be brought to the TCDconnect service terms and conditions page.
- On the registration page enter the short form of your Trinity username (i.e. jbloggs and not firstname.lastname@example.org) and your network login password then tap Download.
The TCDconnect registration success page will be displayed and in around 90 seconds you will have internet access.
- Close and relaunch the web browser app and you will have internet access - you are now fully connected to the TCDwifi student network and once you are in range of a TCDwifi hotspot you will connect automatically.
Step 3: Set a device PIN/password (if you haven't already done so)
You can choose either PIN or password, it is better to choose a password and it should be at least 6-8 characters with a number and at least one character should be in uppercase.
- To set a password, go to Settings - Personal - Security - Screen Lock - Password, enter your password, tap Continue, retype your password and tap OK.
To remove the TCDwifi profile, choose Settings - Wi-Fi, select TCDwifi and tap the Forget button. This removes this Wi-Fi connection from your device.
Note that IT Services does not recommend that you remove your device PIN/password, as having one helps to protect your device in case of theft or accidental loss and prevents unauthorised access to the TCDwifi network for those devices already configured for the TCDwifi network.
If you encounter difficulties connecting to the TCDconnect service please check the TCDconnect FAQ.
TCDconnect network clinic
If you still need assistance then please visit the TCDconnect network clinic to get one-to-one support for this service.