TCDconnect - Connection requirements
What is this page aboutThis page gives information on the hardware and software requirements to register with and use the TCDconnect service.
Who will find this information useful.This information is for Trinity students who wish to connect to the TCDconnect service.
The following are the general requirements for connection to the Trinity network via the TCDconnect service:
- Only holders of a valid Trinity username and password can request connection to the data network
- All users are obliged to read and be familiar with the terms and conditions of connecting to the network
- Your computer must conform to the minimum software and hardware requirements listed below
- Users requiring connection to the wireless network should be aware that there are wireless network card requirements
Supported operating systems
All operating systems must have the latest security updates installed.
Supported PC Operating Systems:
- Windows 10 (Windows 10 S is not currently supported)
- Windows 8.1
- Google Chrome OS (on Chromebook devices)
For more information please see our Windows support statement.
Supported Apple Mac Operating Systems:
- Catalina (10.15)
- Mojave (10.14)
- High Sierra (10.13)
Please see our Mac OS support statement for more information.
Supported Smartphone and Tablet Operating Systems:
- iOS & iPadOS (iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch)
This service requires, for security, that you have a passcode lock set for your smartphone or tablet device. During registration you will be prompted to set a passcode lock or password/PIN if you do not already have one. It is your responsibility to remember this passcode/password/PIN as if you forget it you may have to do a restore from backup and so may lose data. Those using the service are asked to familiarise themselves with some concepts of good IT security for mobile devices. Those using the service are assumed to have read and agreed to the terms and conditions.
Other devices and operating systems:
Only devices running the operating systems listed in the boxes above can be connected to the TCDconnect service.
The TCDconnect service is scaled and provisioned for the secure connectivity of students’ laptops, smartphones and tablets which can support the required Wi-Fi security protocols. It is not possible to connect other Internet-of-Things (IoT) devices such as music streaming devices and games consoles to the student Wi-Fi or wired network service.
As per the College Structured Cabling System policy and the College Wireless policy, it is not permitted to connect networking equipment such as routers, access points and switches to the Trinity network.
Most wireless network cards with the Wi-Fi Logo should be able to connect to the Trinity wireless network. If you are experiencing difficulties then please be aware of the information below, and if you need further assistance please contact the IT Service Desk.
- Your wireless card must be WPA Enterprise compatible (also known as WPA with TKIP). Specifically, it is necessary to use the WPA2 protocol. There is a tool available on the Wi-Fi Alliance website which will allow you to determine if your wireless card meets this requirement.
- Your wireless card must support Wi-Fi 4 (802.11n) or later.
Minimum hardware specifications for PCs and Macs
Minimum device specifications supported by IT Services:
- PC running Windows 8.1 or Windows 10
Minimum of 2GB RAM
Minimum Hard Disk size of 64GB*
Minimum processor speed 1.5GHz
*This Hard Disk size is required to ensure availability of space for the installation of Windows Updates
- Mac running macOS High Sierra or later
Minimum of 4GB RAM
Minimum hard disk size of 32GB
64-bit Intel processor