TCDconnect - How to connect macOS to the student Wi-Fi service
In order to successfully follow the steps below you must be in an area of Trinity with Wi-Fi coverage (see the Trinity Wi-Fi coverage information page). Once you have completed the steps below you will be able to register your device for the TCDconnect service, connect to the Trinity Wi-Fi network and gain fast, secure internet access.
Step 1: Connect to TCDwifi:
- Click on the Wi-Fi Icon in the Apple Menu at the top of the screen. If Wi-Fi is turned off then choose to ‘Turn Wi-Fi On’.
- From the Wi-Fi drop down list choose ‘TCDwifi'.
- The following window should appear:
- In the Username and Password fields enter the short version of your Trinity username (e.g. 'jbloggs' and not 'firstname.lastname@example.org') and your network login password.
- For 'Mode' choose Automatic.
- Click Join (or OK in older macOS versions).
- To ensure easy connection in future, choose System Preferences from the main Apple menu, then choose Network and select Wi-Fi in the panel on the left. Click the Advanced button in the lower right. Under 'Preferred Networks', ensure that TCDwifi is above TCDwifi-firsteps by clicking and dragging (if necessary). Click OK, then Apply to save the setting.
Step 2: Scan and Register your device:
To complete the process and get internet access you must now register your computer for the TCDconnect service. This process includes downloading and running a security scan to register your device and ensure that it is running a supported version of macOS.
- Launch a web browser such as Chrome or Safari and browse to https://tcdnac.tcd.ie. You should see the TCDconnect service terms and conditions page.
- Follow the web page instructions until you come to the main Registration web page.
- In the box towards the end of the page enter the short version of your Trinity username (e.g. 'jbloggs' and not 'email@example.com') and your network login password.
- Click Download to download the 'Dissolvable Agent' security scan file.
- Once the Dissolvable Agent file has been downloaded, double-click on it to run it and begin the security scan..
- After running the scan file you may be asked if you wish to allow changes to the network configuration on your computer and you may be prompted for your local Mac administrator password.
- When the scan completes a results page will be displayed. If your device passes the scan then you will be connected to the internet within 90 seconds, although you may need to restart your computer before getting full connectivity. If your device fails the scan then click the listed item(s) on the results page and follow the displayed link(s) to see instructions on how to update your computer, before downloading and running the scan once more. The most common reason for failing the scan on a Mac would be that you need to install the latest macOS Updates.
Important to know: If you do not use the TCDconnect service for 60 days you will need to re-register by repeating the steps above.
Help with connection process
If you encounter difficulties connecting to the TCDconnect service please check the TCDconnect FAQ.
TCDconnect network clinic
If you still need assistance then please visit the TCDconnect network clinic to get one-to-one support for this service.