TCDconnect - How to connect macOS to the student Wi-Fi service
In order to successfully follow the steps below you must be in an area of Trinity with Wi-Fi coverage (see the Trinity Wi-Fi coverage information page). Once you have completed the steps below you will be able to register your device for the TCDconnect service, connect to the Trinity Wi-Fi network and gain fast, secure internet access.
Step 1: Connect to TCDwifi:
- Click on the Wi-Fi Icon in the Apple Menu at the top of the screen. If Wi-Fi is turned off then choose to ‘Turn Wi-Fi On’.
- From the Wi-Fi drop down list choose ‘TCDwifi'.
- The following window should appear:
- In the Username and Password fields enter the short version of your Trinity username (e.g. 'jbloggs' and not 'firstname.lastname@example.org') and your network login password.
- For 'Mode' choose Automatic.
- Click Join (or OK in older macOS versions).
- After joining the network, a window with the title "Join 'TCDwifi'" will automatically open. Please close this window and then follow the steps below to register your device for the student Wi-Fi service.
Step 2: Scan and Register your device:
To complete the process and get internet access you must now register your computer for the TCDconnect service. This process includes downloading and running a security scan to register your device and ensure that it is running a supported version of macOS.
- Launch a web browser such as Chrome or Safari and browse to https://tcdnac.tcd.ie. You should see the TCDconnect service terms and conditions page.
- Follow the web page instructions until you come to the main Registration web page.
- In the box towards the end of the page enter the short version of your Trinity username (e.g. 'jbloggs' and not 'email@example.com') and your network login password.
- Click Download to download the 'Dissolvable Agent' security scan file.
- If you are not prompted to download the 'Dissolvable Agent' file then close the window, open a new web browser and go to https://tcdnac.tcd.ie to try again.
- Once the Dissolvable Agent file has been downloaded, double-click on it to run it and begin the security scan..
- After running the scan file you may be asked if you wish to allow changes to the network configuration on your computer and you may be prompted for your local Mac administrator password.
- You may also be prompted for a 'Server Address'. If so, please enter http://10.20.0.18 and click Continue.
- When the scan completes a results page will be displayed. If your device passes the scan then you will be connected to the internet within 90 seconds, although you may need to restart your computer before getting full connectivity. If your device fails the scan then click the listed item(s) on the results page and follow the displayed link(s) to see instructions on how to update your computer, before downloading and running the scan once more. The most common reason for failing the scan on a Mac would be that you need to install the latest macOS Updates.
Important to know: If you do not use the TCDconnect service for 75 days you will need to re-register by repeating the steps above.