Staff Wi-Fi - How to connect your Android device
The information below outlines how registered Trinity staff can connect an Android mobile device to the Staff Wi-Fi service.
Those using the service will be asked to agree to the terms and conditions during the connection process.
Before connecting you are advised to read through our web page regarding good IT security practices for those using mobile devices.
The connection of staff mobile devices to the Staff Wi-Fi service is a self-supported service and so no additional support beyond the information on this website is available from the IT Service Desk.
The service is currently available to staff with an Android phone or tablet, running a supported version of Android OS.
To register your Android device for the staff Wi-Fi service, follow the instructions below:
- Your device must be connected to your mobile provider data network or a home Wi-Fi network - not an existing College Wi-Fi network
- Download the 'TCD WIFI Registration' app from Google Play.
- Once installed, launch the app, and follow the prompts within the app to register your device.
- At the top-right of the app is a navigation arrow button. Tap this to continue through the app until you see the button called 'Register device'
- Tap 'Register device'
- Enter your TCD username and network login password
- Agree to the terms
- Select a registration period
- Tap 'Submit' - This will send your device details to IT Services
- You will receive a confirmation email from IT Services.
- After you receive the confirmation email, manually enter the Wi-Fi profile/settings as per the 'manual settings' section below.
- Now you can turn Wi-Fi on once more (if you had turned it off in step 1) and your device should auto-connect to the TCD Staff Wi-Fi service.
After receiving the registration email in step 4 you need the following settings to add the Wi-Fi Profile. Note that these steps may be slightly different on various models of Android device.
- Swipe down from the top of the screen.
- Make sure Wi-Fi is turned on.
- Touch and hold Wi-Fi (or the Wi-Fi icon).
- At the bottom of the list of Wi-Fi networks, tap Add network and enter these settings:
- Network name: TCDwireless (this is case sensitive)
- Security or Network Type: Choose ‘802.1x EAP’ or ‘WPA2 Enterprise’ or ‘WPA/WPA2/WPA3 Enterprise’
- EAP Method: PEAP
- Phase-2 authentication: MSCHAPV2
- Identity: Enter your College username
- CA Certificate: If prompted, choose 'Do not validate' or 'Trust on first use'
- If 'Do not validate' or 'Trust on first use' are not available options, refer to our webpage on 'How to set up the Wi-Fi security certificate on relevant Android phones'.
- Password: Enter your TCD network login password
- Under Advanced Settings check if there is a setting for 'MAC Address Type'. If so, tap this and select Use Phone/Device MAC.
- Tap Save.
Note when saving the Wi-Fi Profile to your device in step 5 above that this functionality has not been tested across all Android devices. The app attempts to save the Wi-Fi Profile to the device and this is outside the control of the app itself. Different manufacturers can and do have slightly different ways of implementing this facility and so it may not work as intended in all cases. If the Wi-Fi Profile does not connect, try the following steps:
- Check that you have received the email outlined in step 4 above, confirming your device is registered for the TCDwireless network
- Most staff who have problems report that the device does not connect automatically on the first attempt. Always wait and see if the device returns a specific error message. Disabling and Re-enabling Wi-Fi on your device can also help at this point.
- Try re-entering your password on the 'TCDwireless' Wi-Fi Profile:
- Navigate to your device's Wi-Fi settings menu.
- Modify the existing TCDwireless profile.
- Enter your TCD username if it is not present and your network login password
- Try connecting once again
- Disabling and Re-enabling Wi-Fi on your device can also help at this point
- Try removing the Wi-Fi Profile and re-entering the Wi-Fi settings manually as outlined in the manual settings section. Usually, there is an 'add network' function in your device's network settings that will allow you to do this.
De-registering your device
Information and instructions regarding removing your phone from the network can be found on our Mobile Device De-registration page.
Please note that the connection of staff mobile devices to the Trinity Wi-Fi network is considered to be a self-supported service and so you may find it useful to refer to the Troubleshooting section above and to consult the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) for this service. If you encounter technical difficulties, please contact the IT Service Desk.