General requirements for connecting to the data network in Trinity offices & labs
Below is a list of the general requirements for staff and postgraduates connecting to the wired data network in Trinity offices and labs, and to the staff Wi-Fi service. If you need details on connecting to the student Wi-Fi service or the wired network in student residences then please see the requirements for the TCDconnect service.
- Only holders of valid Trinity usernames can request connection to the teaching and research network
- All users are obliged to read and be familiar with the terms and conditions of connecting to the network
- Your computer must conform to the minimum software and hardware requirements listed below
- You will need a network card in order to connect to the network. Separate cards are required for 'wired' and for 'wireless' connection. Where required, for computers without a built-in wired network card, specific tested models of USB to Ethernet adapters are supported on the Trinity wired network.
- In order to use the wired network you must have access to a live network point and you will need a network cable
- Users requiring connection to the Wi-Fi network should be aware that there are wireless network card requirements
- Staff or postgraduates wishing to connect a printer to the Trinity data network in offices and labs should refer to the web page on network printing
- You must ensure that you set an administrator password on all network printers and also follow our printer security advice.
- Staff wishing to connect a server to the Trinity data network should refer to our documentation regarding server procurement and setup
Please note: Computers which are running older, unsupported operating systems, or which fail to have the required operating system updates installed, or which do not have the required anti-virus software installed, may be disconnected from the network as an IT security measure.
Operating System Language
The preferred language of the operating system should be English/Irish.
Supported Operating SystemsClick the grey box to expand.
Supported PC Operating Systems
- Windows 10 Pro (support is provided for specific tested versions)
- Windows 8.1 Pro
- Linux (limited support)
- Please note: We will no longer accept requests to connect Windows 7 to the network as support for Windows 7 ends 14th January 2020
See our Windows Support Statement web page for further details regarding supported versions of Microsoft Windows.
Supported Apple Mac Operating Systems
- Mojave (macOS 10.14)
- High Sierra (macOS 10.13)
- Sierra (macOS 10.12)
Please note: Apple will release macOS Catalina (10.15) in October 2019. However, IT Services will not be in a position to provide support for this operating system, until we have fully tested its compatibility with Trinity’s Wi-Fi and wired network services, as well as other central IT services.
Please see our macOS support statement for or further details regarding supported versions of macOS..
Supported Mobile Devices Operating Systems
- Android OS 7.1.2 and later
- iOS 12.
As per the Trinity Structured Cabling System policy and the Trinity Wireless policy, it is not permitted to connect networking equipment such as routers, access points and switches to the Trinity data network.
Minimum desktop/laptop hardware specifications supported by IT Services for Windows and macOS X:
- PC running Windows 10 Pro, Windows 8/8.1 Pro or Windows 7 Professional
Minimum of 4GB RAM
Minimum Hard Disk size of 64GB
Minimum processor speed 2GHz
- Mac running macOS X 10.10 or later
Minimum of 4GB RAM
Minimum hard disk size of 64GB
64-bit Intel processor
Wired network adapter
In order to connect your computer to the Trinity wired network you will need a network card, also known as an ethernet adapter, in which to connect an ethernet cable. To verify that you have a network card, look at the rear or side of the computer and you should see a port for an ethernet cable. For those computers that do not ship with a wired network card please note there are some specific tested models of USB to Ethernet adapters that are supported on the Trinity data network.
Most wireless network devices with the Wi-Fi Logo should be able to connect to the Trinity wireless network.
- Your wireless card must be able to use the WPA2-Enterprise protocol. There is a tool available on the Wi-Fi Alliance website which will allow you to determine if your wireless card meets this requirement.
- Your wireless card must support Wi-Fi 4 (802.11n) or later.
Staff wishing to connect Windows 7 laptops to the staff Wi-Fi network should note that a wired connection is required before requesting a wireless connection. For those computers that do not ship with a wired network card please note there are some specific tested models of USB to Ethernet adapters that are supported on the Trinity network. This does not apply to Windows 10 or Windows 8 laptops.
If you need further assistance with regards to wireless network card compatibility please contact the IT Service Desk.