General requirements for connecting to the data network in Trinity offices and labs
Below is a list of the general requirements for staff and postgraduates connecting to the wired data network in Trinity offices and labs, and to the staff Wi-Fi service and to the staff VPN service. If you need details on connecting to the student Wi-Fi service or the wired network in student residences then please see the requirements for the TCDconnect service.
- Only holders of valid Trinity usernames can request connection to the teaching and research network
- All users are obliged to read and be familiar with the terms and conditions of connecting to the network
- Your computer must conform to the minimum software and hardware requirements listed below
- You will need a network card in order to connect to the network. Separate cards are required for 'wired' and for 'wireless' connection. Where required, for computers without a built-in wired network card, specific tested models of USB to Ethernet adapters are supported on the Trinity wired network.
- In order to use the wired network you must have access to a live network point and you will need a network cable
- Users requiring connection to the Wi-Fi network should be aware that there are wireless network card requirements
- Staff or postgraduates wishing to connect a printer to the Trinity data network in offices and labs should refer to the web page on network printing
- You must ensure that you set an administrator password on all network printers and also follow our printer security advice.
- Staff wishing to connect a server to the Trinity data network should refer to our documentation regarding server procurement and setup
Please note: Computers which are running older, unsupported operating systems, or which fail to have the required operating system updates installed, or which do not have the required anti-virus software installed, may be disconnected from the network as an IT security measure.
Operating System Language
The preferred language of the operating system should be English/Irish.
Supported Operating Systems:
Supported PC Operating Systems
- Windows 11 Pro and Windows 11 Education (support is provided for specific tested versions)
- Windows 10 Pro and Windows 10 Education (support is provided for specific tested versions)
- Windows 8.1 Pro
- Linux (limited support)
See our Windows Support Statement web page for further details regarding supported versions of Microsoft Windows.
Supported Apple Mac Operating Systems
- macOS Monterey (12.x)
- macOS Big Sur (11.x)
- macOS Catalina (macOS 10.15)
Please see our macOS support statement for further details regarding supported versions of macOS.
Supported Mobile Devices Operating Systems
The service is available to staff and postgraduates using devices with supported versions of:
As per the Trinity Structured Cabling System policy and the Trinity Wireless policy, it is not permitted to connect networking equipment such as routers, access points and switches to the Trinity data network.
Minimum desktop/laptop hardware specifications supported by IT Services for Windows and macOS:
PC running Windows 10 or Windows 8.1
- Minimum of 4GB RAM
- Minimum Hard Disk size of 64GB
- Minimum processor speed 2GHz
Macs running supported versions of macOS
- Minimum of 4GB RAM
- Minimum hard disk size of 64GB
- 64-bit Intel processor
Out of warranty hardware
Desktops and laptops purchased from the official College suppliers are usually provided with a 5-year warranty as standard. IT Services can provide only limited technical support for desktops and laptops which are out of warranty.
Network adapter requirements
Wired network adapter
In order to connect your computer to the Trinity wired network you will need a network card, also known as an ethernet adapter, in which to connect an ethernet cable. To verify that you have a network card, look at the rear or side of the computer and you should see a port for an ethernet cable. For those computers that do not ship with a wired network card please note there are some specific tested models of USB to Ethernet adapters that are supported on the Trinity data network.
Wi-Fi network adapter
Most wireless network devices with the Wi-Fi Logo should be able to connect to the Trinity wireless network.
- Your wireless card must be able to use the WPA2-Enterprise protocol. There is a tool available on the Wi-Fi Alliance website which will allow you to determine if your wireless card meets this requirement.
- Your wireless card must support Wi-Fi 4 (802.11n) or later.
If you need further assistance with regards to wireless network card compatibility please contact the IT Service Desk.