Clearing the browser cache or history
What is this page about
As you browse the web, certain information is stored locally on your computer in a 'cache'.
This cache can contain the contents of particular web pages - stored locally so that the pages load more quickly the next time you visit them. Typically, a history of which web pages you have visited is also stored. Browsers can also store passwords for certain websites and a range of other settings and information that you have entered into web forms.
Sometimes it can be necessary to clear the cache, for example if you do not think your browser is returning the most up-to-date version of a web page or document.
You may also wish to clear the cache and history periodically in order to delete the records of any passwords stored or other information.
Who will find this information useful.Any staff or student wishing to ensure they are looking at the most recent version of a webpage
- Internet enabled device
- Web browser listed below
Before you begin
The steps to take are different depending on the web browser you are using, please identify your web browser to select the correct instructions.
- Launch the Edge browser
- Click the Tools button (three dots) towards the top right corner of the window
- Select Settings
- Under 'Clear browsing data' select Choose what to clear
- Select/tick the items that you wish to clear and then select the Clear button
- Click the Tools button (three dots) towards the top right corner, to close the settings menu.
- Click Tools (the Gear icon), then choose Internet Options
- Click the Delete button located under Browsing history on the General tab
- Untick Preserve Favourites website data
- Tick the boxes for the items you wish to delete, for example:
'Temporary Internet files and website files'
'Cookies and website data'
- Click Delete
- Click OK to close the Internet Options window
- Click the menu button (three dots), then choose History, and from the submenu click on History again.
- Click Clear browsing data from the side menu
- To clear all selected browsing data, choose 'From the beginning of time' from the 'Obliterate the following items from' drop-down menu
- Select the items you wish to clear, for example:
'Cookies and other site and plug-in data'
'Cached images and files'
- Click Clear browsing data
- Click the menu button (three lines), then click Options (or Preferences in some versions of Firefox)
- Click the Privacy tab in the left sidebar
- Under History, click the clear your recent history link
- To delete all selected browsing data, choose Everything from the Time range to clear drop-down menu
- Tick the boxes for the items you wish to clear, you may need to click the Details option to see these items:
'Browsing & Download History'
- Click Clear now
- From the Safari menu choose Reset Safari
- Select the items you wish to clear/remove, then click Reset