External forwarding to non-Trinity email accounts is ending
Effective 12 October 2021, it will no longer be possible to setup external forwarding rules on staff email to third-party email systems (anything not ending in @tcd.ie).
Forwarding is set to automatically re-direct incoming messages to another email address. You would then access your email using the other email address's inbox. For example, you might create a forwarding address to automatically deliver mail sent to your @tcd.ie email account to your personal email account, for example your @gmail.com email account.
External forwarding of email puts sensitive information and data (patient, student, personal, research) at risk of being sent to an unsecured email account outside of the University. Under GDPR, the University is obliged to protect any received personal data, which is not possible if email is being auto-forwarded.
The Library and Information Policy Committee has approved this change in policy.
In keeping with these security measures, IT Services would encourage any staff member already using external forwarding to remove it.
How to remove external forwarding from your email
As mentioned above, automatic external forwarding to non-Trinity email accounts is unsafe. We encourage you to remove it if you are using it.
Here's how to remove forwarding from your email:
- Log onto your Office 365 staff email account online at http://office.tcd.ie
- Once logged in, click on the Mail icon
- Click on the tool icon at the top right-hand corner of the screen and choose View all Outlook settings (towards the bottom of the menu).
- Click on Email and then Forwarding (see below)
- Untick the Enable forwarding box. This will clear any email address that was there.
- Click Save at bottom of menu screen.