How to obtain your network login username and password (students)
You will need a username and password to use services on the Trinity network. This is known as your network login username and password.
All users of the Trinity network are bound by Trinity’s IT & Network code of conduct. The main thing to remember is that you must never give your login details to anyone else - as you are responsible for actions carried out under your login.
Obtaining your username & password
During online registration at my.tcd.ie, you will get a unique Trinity username, and an initial password.
- Check your intray messages at my.tcd.ie for a message with the subject ‘Your Trinity Computer Account’. If you cannot see this message, please click the ‘All Messages’ link.
You will need this username to check your email, gain access to Trinity Wi-Fi, use the Library services online and more. For more information see our getting connected page.
For security, your initial password must be changed within 14 days of your first login to a computer in Trinity. Please see instructions below on how to do this. If you do not set your own password you will receive an email from IT Services advising you of this password expiry and how to proceed.
Setting your own password
The in-tray message received at my.tcd.ie provides instructions on setting your network login password.
- You can do this by visiting http://mypassword.tcd.ie and clicking the ‘Set Password’ link.
- You’ll then enter your username and initial password, before being brought to a new web page where you can enter and verify a new password of your choice.
By following these instructions, you will be setting your password for a range of IT systems in Trinity which you will need access to, including your password for MyZone, the student email service. You won’t be able to access MyZone until you have set your own password.
Any registered student can collect a printout of their username and initial network login password during standard opening hours from the IT Service Desk by presenting their Trinity ID card.
Frequently Asked Questions
I am trying to access my MyZone account for the first time and my password doesn't work.
Have you changed your password from the initial password given to you in your intray message? If not please follow the instructions above in "Setting your own password"
I am trying to set a new password but I keep getting errors.
Make sure you are meeting the password rules. Passwords must:
- be at least 8 characters long
- have a mix of upper & lowercase characters
- include at least one numeric character OR a special character such as ! @ $ % * _ - + = ~
- must not include £ € : ? | space
- must not include part of your first name, last name or username
When trying to use my network login password I’m getting a message that my account is locked
Your account will become locked out if the system detects that someone has repeatedly attempted to login using your username and an incorrect password. If your account becomes locked out you have three options:
- You may wait 4 hours and your account will be unlocked automatically
- You may call in person to the IT Service Desk in Áras an Phiarsaigh with your student ID card
My password won’t work.
On the keyboard check that CAPSLOCK isn’t turned on by mistake. Also check that NUMLOCK is on if you are using the number keypad.
Another possibility is that your account may be locked out, please see the advice above.
Alternatively, if you haven’t set your own password and you are having problems logging in, then your initial password may have expired. Please visit http://mypassword.tcd.ie, click ‘Set Password’ and enter your username and initial password, then set your own new password.