It is important to assess safety risk.
BeSMART is an easy to use online tool for Risk Assessment and Safety Statements and shows how you can easily prepare a safety statement, what it should contain and who it should be brought to the attention of.
This short HSA video shows how you can easily prepare a safety statement, what it should contain and who it should be brought to the attention of.
Additional information on assessing risk and safety statements can be found at the following links:
- Guidelines on Risk Assessments & Safety Statements
- Sample - Office Risk Assessment
- Identification & Risk Assessment
Safety can only be managed effectively in College if all staff, students, contractors and visitors have a direct input. Hence, a consultative process has been developed and is based on the following:
- Departmental Safety Officers are the the first point of contact in relation to resolving Safety issues. Local And Faculty Safety Committees have been set up based on size, need and areas. Elected Safety Representatives are also in place.
- College wide representation is achieved under the auspices of the College Safety Committee and the Risk Reduction Sub-Committee. Staff, students, contractors and visitors are reminded of the following hierarchy of consultation to remedy any Health and Safety issues. Where one level does not remedy the situation the next level should be used. The College Safety Officer is also available to offer advice.
Hierarchy of consultation
- The matter is raised with the Departmental Safety Officer
- The matter is raised with the Head of School, Discipline or Administrative Area
- The matter is raised at local/faculty Safety Committee
- The matter is raised at College Safety Committee level
- The Registrar is notified to implement College disciplinary measures if necessary
Local and Faculty Safety Committees
To date there are four Local Committees:
- Buildings Office Safety Committee
- Chemistry Department Safety Committee
- Radiological Protection Committee
- Library Safety Committee
There are three Faculty Safety Committees
Elected Safety Representatives
Employees of the College are further represented by elected safety representatives. Safety Representatives may consult with and make representations to College on Safety Health and Welfare matters relating to College employees. Further details on the names, role and function of Safety Representatives are outlines in the College Code of Practice for Safety Representatives.
College Safety Committee
College wide representation is achieved under the auspices of the College Safety Committee, chaired by the Registrar. The terms of reference of the College Safety Committee are as follows:
- To advise and make recommendations to the Board on all Health and Safety, Fire Safety and Environmental Protection matters of College wide application or where matters of principle are involved.
- To advise and make recommendations to the Board on the general responsibilities of the College as employer, and the responsibility of all individual members of staff, students, contractors and visitors on all matters of Health and Safety, Fire Safety and Environmental Protection in College.
- To develop, integrate and supervise the College Safety Statement.
- To improve communications and increase awareness among the College community on all Health and Safety ,Fire Safety and Environmental Protection matters.
- To represent the views of College staff, students, contractors and visitors on all Health and Safety, policy matters and ensure their co-operation in this regard.
- To consider advice from specialist safety advisers and advisory committees.
- To consult and liaise with other College committees as appropriate.
The present membership of the College Safety committee is as follows:
- Chair - Chief Operating Officer
- Secretary - Head of Safety and Safety Risk Management
- Chairpersons or representative of principal sub-committees (8)
- Board Representative(s)
- Director of Estates & Facilities (or nominee)
- Director of the College Health Service
- Director of Human Resources (or nominee)
- Executive & Technical Director TBSI
- 2 representatives of the Safety Representatives group
- Students’ Union representative
- Graduate Students’ Union representative