Essential works are in progress to refurbish the roof area of the Museum Building.
This is due to its deterioration over a number of years.
The repairs to the Building, which is a protected structure, follow the damage which was caused to the internal historic fabric such as Plasterwork on ceilings and walls as a result of water ingress from the roof.
The slate and copper finishes including battens, fixings and substrates underneath are considered to be at the end of their viable lifespan and it is recommended that they be replaced as a matter of urgency to protect the historic fabric of the building from on-going damage.
The Slate roofing material, now over 160 years old, has reached its end of life and needs to be replaced. Any slates that can be re-used will be salvaged, all slates are being replaced, the 2 central domes are being refurbished, the roof glazing is being upgraded and the emergency fire escape platforms are to be replaced.
The works commence in May 2021 and the expected completion date is early September 2021.
The Museum Building was erected between 1853 and 1857 to the designs of the architects Deane, Woodward and Son, who drew their inspiration from buildings in Venice, Spain, and England. They went on to design the Kildare Street Club and the Oxford Museum.
Originally comprising seventeen rooms that included huge engineering and geological museums, a library, lecture theatres and staff offices for engineering, geology and natural philosophy (physics), today the interior has been extensively subdivided and now hosts the Disciplines of Civil Engineering, Geography and Geology.