Getting information ready for new students
Ensuring clarity and embedding inclusive practices into admissions and pre registration procedures ensures that prospective students:
- Have a positive first impression of the institution,
- Know how to proceed through the application process, leading to higher recruitment numbers,
- Can make informed choices when choosing a programme of study, leading to higher retention rates.
Guidelines for Inclusive Pre-Admission processes
Ensure all materials:
- Are available externally (if online).
- Follow the College Accessibility Policy.
- Give clear, unambiguous and accurate information to students.
- Are updated frequently
- Are available to students in different formats (including print and electronic),
- Are available as early as possible.
- All pre-requisites are necessary to the successful completion of the course
- All pre requisites are clearly signposted in your materials for prospective students,
- Prospective students know what is expected of them.
- Application forms are clear, easy to access, and accessible to complete.
Programme Requirements: This video asks are programme requirements free of unnecessary barriers (length 51s).
It is useful to give prospective students detailed information relating to assessment within your programme. For example:
- What percentage of your course is graded on continuous assessment and what percentage on examinations?
- Are there formative assessment opportunities?
- What assessment methods are used?
Dr. Rhodes from the School of Business, TCD, discusses the considerations of the Msc in International Management when designing an inclusive application process.
When Interviewing applicants:
- Consider any additional needs for applicants in advance.
- Ask prospective students if they have any particular requirements.
- Hold interviews in accessible rooms where applicable.
- Ensure there is timely notice of the time and location of interviews.
- Advise prospective students of materials to be brought to interviews in good time.
- If the interview will involve a presentation, ensure all information is circulated in good time.
Interviews: This video investigates whether student needs are considered prior to interviews to ensure an inclusive process.
Take time to complete a brief self-evaluation of your:
- pre-admission processes (5 questions)