Disability Service Conference Papers & Presentations
On these pages you find links & information all Disability service conference papers and presentation submitted.
Academic Year 2018-2019
- Mental Health Support in Trinity College Dublin, the University of Dublin, Vilnius December 2018, Declan Treanor
- Tomorrows Disability Officer - A Cornerstone on the Universal Design Campus, Universal Design & Higher Education in Transformation Congress 2018
- Disability Service Student Orientation, Arts Buidling 31st August 2018
- Inclusive Learning and the Provision of Reasonable Accommodations to Students with Disabilities in Higher Education in Ireland - 3rd publication in AHEAD-DAWN is one output of the Road Map series, provides comprehensive guidelines on how Inclusive Learning can be implemented and outlines good practice in the provision of Reasonable Accommodations. Co-authored by Declan Treanor, Director Disability Service Trinity College Dublin.
- Postgraduate students with disabilities - how are they getting on?- Dr Declan Reilly (Disability Service, Trinity College Dublin)
- What impact do mental health difficulties have on the student journey and what can HEIs do about it?
Dr Declan Reilly & James Brady, Disability Service, Trinity College Dublin
- Auditing Learning Environments from a Sensory Perspective
Dr Clodagh Nolan, Cecily Roche, Declan Treanor Disability Service, Trinity College Dublin
- Tomorrows Disability Officer – a ‘Wizard’ on the UD Campus - Declan Treanor, Patricia McCarthy TCD
Ahead Conference 2019 -
Academic Year 2017-2018
- How do we know that we do what we say we do? -Dr. Clodagh Nolan and Declan Treanor, University of Dublin, Trinity College. Ireland, NADP Conference June 2018
- Getting to know the Disability Service at Trinity - An Orientation Event hosted by the Disability Service and Student Ambassadors, 4th September 2017
- Position Paper - Inclusive Education: A Road Map for Disability Support in Higher Education in Ireland - published in December 2017. Click on this link to read the paper - https://www.ahead.ie/userfiles/files/shop/free/Position%20Paper%20Online.pdf
- The Role of the Disability Officer and the Disability Service in Higher Education in Ireland – A Vision for Future Development 2018 - published in March 2018. Click on this link to read the paper - https://www.ahead.ie/userfiles/files/shop/free/The%20_Role_of_the_Disability_Officer.pdf
Academic Year 2016-2017
- Inclusive Teaching- Ussher lecturer Induction, TCD, September 15 2016, Andrew Costello
- Trinity inclusive curriculum project (TIC)/ Inclusive Learning - CAPSL Brown Paper bag lunchtime series, October 18th, Andrew Costello
- Comparing and exploring the sensory processing patterns of higher education
students with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder and autism spectrum disorder, American Journal of Occupational Therapy, M. Clince, L. Connolly, & C. Nolan, (2016).
Academic Year 2015-2016
- Supporting the Transition to Employment - Career Pathways: A Support Service for Students with Disabilities. 2016 - COTEC-ENOTHE Congress, June 15-19, Galway. Claire Gleeson, Kieran Lewis, Dr Clodagh Nolan, and Declan Treanor
- The Career Pathways Transition to Employment Project: Development, Outcomes and Future Directions - Ann Beckett Award Presentation. Claire Gleeson, Kieran Lewis, and Dr Clodagh Nolan, Career Pathways Service.
- DARE Advice Clinic - 21st January, 2016 (PPT - 8MB)
- Are we levelling the playing field'? Exploring if reasonable accommodations provided to students with disabilities in higher education remove barriers and impact on the student experience - February 25th, 2016 (PPT - 13MB) - School of Education, Research Seminar Series. Declan Reilly, Trinity College Dublin.
Diversity Matters- Supporting the Diverse Student Population transitioning into the Workplace Loyola Institute
Date: Wednesday 2nd March 2016
- Diversity Matters agenda for the day (.docx - 24KB)
- Developing Inclusive Career Approaches - A guide for Higher Education Institutes - (PDF - 2MB)
Academic Year 2014-2015
Trinity College Dublin Disability 4th Annual Symposium, June 25th 2015
The Balance between Individual Support and an Inclusive College Environment: The Role for Disability Services in Working with Students Experiencing Mental Health Difficulties:
Conference papers :
- DAWN CPD event agenda (.docx, 61KB)
- The Balance between Individual Support and an Inclusive College Environment: The Role for Disability Services in Working with Students Experiencing Mental Health Difficulties (.pptx - 1MB) - Declan Treanor, Disability Service Director, Trinity College Dublin.
- Looking at the needs assessment process of students with mental health difficulties (.pptx - 1.3MB) - Brendan Power, Trinity College Dublin.
- Moving from Reactive to Proactive Model in support of students with Mental Health Difficulties (.pptx - 1.6MB) - Mary O'Grady, Head of Service, Disability Support Service, UCC
- Examining potential reasonable accommodations and supports for students experiencing mental health difficulties: Enabling Participation - Kieran Lewis, Charlotte O'Connor, Fiona Gilmore, Occupational Therapists, Disability Service, Trinity College Dublin.
- Mental Health and Supporting Students, Dr Niamh Farrelly, Consultant Psychiatrist, Trinity College Dublin.
- Epilepsy Awareness (ppt, 1.9MB) - Paul Sharkey, Epilepsy Ireland.
CSSI 15th Biennial Conference titled Innovations to Support the Student Experience will be held on Thursday, 18 June and Friday, 19 June 2015
Conference papers :
- Moving from the transactional to the transformational student: Lessons learnt from the Trinity College Disability Service three phased transitional student journey strategy (.pptx, 4.4 MB) - Declan Treanor, Trinity College Dublin.
- Supporting the Transition from College to Employment for Students and Graduates with Disabilities - Kieran Lewis, Trinity College Dublin & Shay Nolan, Disability Support Service, University College Cork.
Universal Design for Learning (UDL), AHEAD Conference - March 19th & 20th, 2015 Dublin Castle
UDL: A license to Learn, Conference papers :
- Conference Publication - UDL - A license to Learn
- The New Frontier - Universal Design & Reasonable Accommodations on Professional Placements - Conference Paper - Declan Treanor - Trinity College Dublin
- The New Frontier - Universal Design & Reasonable Accommodations on Professional Placements - Conference Presentation - Declan Treanor - Trinity College Dublin
- Building Blocks - The development of an e-Portfolio system to support students with disabilities in the transition to employment - Conference Presentation - Claire Gleeson, Kieran Lewis, Dr. Clodagh Nolan- Trinity College Dublin.
- The transition of the use of Assistive Technology from an educational 3rd level setting to workplace environment - Conference Paper - Andrew Costello - Trinity College Dublin
- The transition of the use of Assistive Technology from an educational 3rd level setting to workplace environment - Conference Presentation - Andrew Costello - Trinity College Dublin
Other 2014-15 Papers & Presentation
- Everyday Accessibility - understanding your commitment under the TCD Accessible Information Policy & Guidelines - Andrew Costello - 30th January 2015
- Supporting Students with Asperger’s Syndrome at Third Level, Thursday 11th December 2014
- Professional Placement Planning: an integrated approach to supporting students with disabilities during clinical placements – Declan Treanor presented a theme paper in: Education in clinical practice and practice development at NET 2014, 25th International Networking for Healthcare Education Conference – Churchill College, Cambridge University – September 4th 2014.
- Career Pathways Launch: Background and Need for Career Pathways; Career Pathways Launch September 2014; Dr. Clodagh Nolan and Claire Gleeson
- Career Pathways Launch Introduction to the Career Pathways Service; Career Pathways Launch September 2014; Kieran Lewis and Eileen Daly
- Disability Service orientation presentation for new DARE students and parents
- Higher education students registered with disability services and practice educators: issues and concerns for professional placements (2014, Clodagh Nolan, Claire Gleeson, Declan Treanor & Susan Madigan)
Academic Year 2013-2014
HOW EQUAL? CONFERENCE ON ACCESS TO HIGHER EDUCATION IN IRELAND, November 7th 2013
- Supporting non-traditional students: The Student Journey, a new model of engagement - The move from a transactional service delivery model, to a transformational resource, Declan Treanor, Alison Doyle, Declan Reilly (2013) - (.doc 128KB)
- Powerpoint Presentation - Supporting non-traditional students: The Student Journey, a new model of engagement - The move from a transactional service delivery model, to a transformational resource, Declan Treanor, Alison Doyle, Declan Reilly (2013) - (Powerpoint 3.26MB)
- Doyle, A., Mc Guckin, C., & Shevlin, M. (2013) 'Tell Me What I Need to Know'. Students with Disabilities and Transition to Post-secondary Education. School of Education, Trinity College Dublin - (pdf- 430KB)
- Nolan, C., Treanor, D. , Gleeson, C. , Lewis, K. (2013) 'TCD Unilink: A Shared Service Model', Trinity College Dublin - (PDF - 436KB)
- Costello, A. (2013) Matching Students with Technology Assessment Tool, Assistive Technology Assessment framework, Trinity College Dublin Disability Service. - (PDF 413 KB)
Further conference papers 2013-2014
- A Submission to the National Disability Authority on behalf of the Disability and Unilink Service in relation to the Development of a National Comprehensive Employment Strategy for people with Disabilities
- Everyday Accessibility,Maximise accessibility using Microsoft® Word, PowerPoint, and PDFs - Library Association of Ireland - Academic & Special Libraries Annual Conference & Exhibition , Andrew Costello (Powerpoint-3.75MB)
- Personal Emergency Evacuation Training event - Trinity College Disability Service hosted a half-day seminar for Access, Buildings, Disability and Safety Officers in Higher Education Institutes in Ireland in June 2014. The purpose of this seminar was to address the issues around developing Personal Emergency Evacuation Plans (PEEPs) for disabled building users in the event of an emergency in a Higher Education setting and to initiate the next steps in training required nationally and locally to ensure compliance with regulations in regards to PEEPs. The event was supported by DAWN the Disability Advisors Working Network in association with the Disability Service and Safety Office in TCD and O’Herlihy Access Consultancy (2014, Declan Reilly, PDF)
- Personal Emergency Evacuation Planning - An article on emergency access featuring a student of Trinity College Dublin appeared in the spring 2014 edition of Spokeout Magazine. The article highlighted the need for Personal Emergency Evacuation Planning to be part of the consideration of the accessibility of any building.(2014, Declan Reilly, PDF 2.84 MB)
- What is Assistive technology ? Dell Computing True Ability Network, Andrew Costello (Powerpoint-2.54MB)
- Quinn, S., Gleeson, C. & Nolan, C. (2013). An occupational therapy service for university students with Asperger's Syndrome (AS). Occupational Therapy in Mental Health.30 (2), 109-125.
Academic Year 2012-2013
- A Model for Supporting Nursing and Midwifery Students with a Disability on Placement - UCD. - Models of Support for Students with disabilities on Professional Placements - June 2013.(MSPowerpoint 1.1MB)-Models of Support for Students with disabilities on Professional Placements - June 2013.
- Support for Students with Disabilities in Professional Practice: Perspectives of Stakeholders - TCD - (MS Powerpoint 1MB) - Models of Support for Students with disabilities on Professional Placements - June 2013.
- Examination Accommodations for Students with Sensory Defensiveness. Journal of Post Secondary Education and Disability, 26, (2), 2013, p163 - 180
- The Development and Implementation Plans for UCC Fitness to Practice Policy - UCC. - Models of Support for Students with disabilities on Professional Placements - June 2013. (MS Powerpoint 1.24 MB)
- Developing a model for the communication and the provision of Reasonable Accommodations in professional placements - Declan Reilly, TCD. - Models of Support for Students with disabilities on Professional Placements - June 2013. (MS Powerpoint - 1.4MB)
- Support for Students with Disabilities in Practice - Summary reportModels of Support for Students with disabilities on Professional Placements - June 2013
- Supporting students with ASD at third level -International Autism Conference Dublin 3-4 April 2013
- So how was it for you? Students with disabilities transitioning to higher education: a mixed methods study - Trinity Education Papers, 2013, Trinity College, Dublin, Ireland
- Using a Person-Environment-Occupation (PEO) model to support students with Dyscalculia in Higher Education. Presentation to Mist, Haze & ShuttersDyscalculia in FE/HE Conference, 10th April 2013, University of Loughborough
- Trinity's Inclusive Library Strategy - Ahead Paper - Working for an Inclusive library environment, AHEAD Conference 2013
- Trinity's Inclusive Library Strategy - Ahead Presentation - Working for an Inclusive library environment, AHEAD Conference 2013
- Gleeson, C.I., & Nolan, C., (2013). Supporting students with ASD at third level. Presentation at the Irish Society of Autism Conference. Dublin Convention Centre, April 2013.
Academic Year 2011-2012
- Pathways to Trinity - Full paper - The Disabled Student Journey - a new transition model is emerging. End of year Disability Service seminar, June 2012.
- Pathways to Trinity - Presentation The Disabled Student Journey - a new transition model is emerging. End of year Disability Service seminar, June 2012.
- Pathways to Trinity - The Disabled Student Journey - Examining theory and practice in inclusive education Conference , School of Education, Trinity College Dublin, April 2012.
- Disability Service submission to the Review of the Copyright and Related Rights Act 2000.
- Trinity Inclusive Curriculum: A Case Study on the Development of an Inclusive Curriculum Strategy - This chapter in 'The Dynamic Curriculum: Shared Experiences of On-going Curricular Change in Higher Education', it explores and evaluates TCD's strategies towards an inclusive Trinity environment.
- Inclusion and the Student Voice: Lessons from the Trinity Inclusive Curriculum Strategy - This case study in the publication 'Institutional Transformation to Engage a Diverse Student Body (L. Thomas and M.Tight eds.) describes the TIC strategy in TCD.
- Choice Matters - Full Paper - Professional Competence / Fitness to practice issues and the Inclusion of Disabled Students in teacher training education and employment - AHEAD Conference 15th March 2012.
- Choice Matters paper - Abstract - Professional Competence / Fitness to practice issues and the Inclusion of Disabled Students in teacher training education and employment - AHEAD Conference 15th March 2012.
- Choice Matters - Presentation - AHEAD Conference 15th March 2012.
- Learning Difficulties Worldwide Conference - Full paper - School experiences of secondary level students with disabilities.
- Irish Psychologist - Book review - Ideas for actively engaging students in an inclusive classroom.
- Higher Education Academy Student Retention York 2012 - Full Paper- Pathways to Trinity: A modelled pre-entry and first year initiative to support disabled students in the process of transition from school to university.
- Test Setting Accommodations for Students with Sensory Defensiveness - Full paper
Academic Year 2010-2011
- CSSI Paper - 2011 - So how was it for you? - Students with disabilities transitioning to higher education.
- Barriers to disabled students in the sciences - December 2010.
- Supporting students with disabilities in transition through university- The student journey approach.
Academic Year 2009-2010
- A review of the needs of students with ADHD in Trinity College Dublin - June 2010.
- Managing Asperger’s Syndrome in Third Level Education- June 2010.
- Determining appropriate supports for students with Developmental Co-ordination Disorder in 3rd Level - June 2010.
- Dyscalculia and Mathematical Difficulties: Implications for Transition to Higher Education- June 2010.