The Dining Hall
Main Campus (Front Square)
Accessible via ramped at left of main entrance and via lift in the Atrium at the rear. Limited access hours, contact College Catering.
General public areas open 0730 to 1800 daily (term time) and 0730 to 1600hrs (non term time)
Students and Staff restricted areas open 0730 to 2200hrs (later by arrangement)
Upper level dining and common rooms facilities are open to senior college staff between the hours of 0900 to 1700hrs. The Main Dining Hall is also open during term time as a Student's Buffet from hours 12noon to 1500hrs.
The Dining Hall is part of the Catering building which was built originally as the main college dining halls circa mid 1790s, of 4 storey height construction and served by 8 staircases, there is a lift facility provided that gives wheelchair access to many parts of the building. During the buildings' life it has been altered and adjusted by conversion and extensions.
Entrance to the building is from a number of locations, an accessible entrance has been formed in the southwest corner between the East Chapel and main front steps to the Catering Complex; this wheelchair route of access is provided through the Catering Complex building lower ground floor and into the Atrium where a passenger lift is available to most of the floor levels.
There is a section of the building at top floor level northeast side that is in-accessible to wheelchair users; the area accommodates the Catering Department offices and changing rooms for catering and kitchen staff, also the 1592 Restaurant is in-accessible due to 'steps only' access from both entry doors.
Events, Dinners and functions during evenings and weekends are made by arrangement for the Main Dining Hall and the Atrium facilities. The basement level is divided into two main public areas: the Buttery Restaurant and Java City Coffee room.
A number of function rooms are also utilised; The Atrium hall ground floor, Room 50, with Societies and Club meeting rooms, on higher levels the Atrium opens up to quadrangle function areas on two floors, additionally two private dining rooms are situated on the top floor. Within the southwest basement area a section of the accommodation is rented to Bank of Ireland where a branch office is opened to Students, College Staff and visitors, opening hours of 1000 to 1600hrs 5 days a week.
Also two Auto Teller Cash Machines (ATMs) are available for use adjacent to the Bank, wheelchair access is provided to the Bank premises and both ATMs.
The general visiting public to Trinity College do not have open access to the interior of the building Main Dining Room, Upper Common Rooms and East Dining Hall.
Currently the universally accessible parts of the building are the lower ground floor level, ground floor and 1st floor level via a passenger, but not possible for wheelchair users to the 1592 Restaurant and the upper floor Catering Department offices and catering staff changing rooms to the northeast side of the building.
Entrance at southwest corner between the East Chapel and main front steps to the Catering Complex. Lift access to Dining Hall at the back of the Atrium.
- Buttery Restaurant (capacity 160 seats)
- Buttery Servery, Counters and Juice Bar Java City Coffee room (capacity 80 seats)
- Atrium basement floor hall (capacity 100 seats)
- Atrium ground floor functions area (capacity 80 seats)
- Atrium first floor functions area (capacity 60 seats)
- Atrium 2 Private Dining Rooms (capacity 15 seats per room)
- Bank of Ireland Trinty Branch offices East Dining Hall (capacity 160-180 seats)
- East Dining Hall Servery
- Front Reception Lobby hall
- Main Dining Hall (capacity 180-200 seats)
- 1592 Restaurant (capacity 30-40 seats)
- Upper Common Rooms Coffee Bar and Lounge east (capacity 55 seats)
- Upper Common Rooms Loos Bar east (capacity 25 seats)
- Upper Common Rooms Central Lounge south (capacity 56 seats)
- Upper Common Rooms Library Lounge west (capacity 18 seats)
- Upper Common Rooms
- Toilets male and female
- Catering Deptartment offices
- Accessible WC rooms
- Buttery Restaurant Clubs and Societies Rooms
- Atrium west side
- Room 50 Function suite