Management & Governance
CRANN's management team has overall responsibility for implementing the strategic plan of the institute and ensuring the success of CRANN. The management team reports to the Institute Board and funding agencies. The Institute Board is comprised of individuals with a broad range of experience across industry, academia and commercialisation.
CRANN's Scientific Advisory Board meets annually with the role of reviewing the research output from CRANN and providing strategic input to the Director regarding research focus areas.
CRANNs Commercialisation Advisory Board includes entrepreneurs, VCs and industry experts who help direct the Institutes commercialisation strategy.
CRANN's management team
- Professor Stefano SanvitoDirector of CRANN
- Prof John DoneganDeputy director of CRANN
- Dr Lorraine ByrneExecutive Director of CRANN
The Director has overall responsibility to ensure the success of CRANN, reporting to the Institute Board and funding agencies. The Director has to ensure that the strategic plan for CRANN is implemented and has responsibility for overall budgeting. In addition the Director manages the Scientific Advisory Board.
The Executive Director has all operational responsibilities, including personnel, health and safety, financial management, CRANN operational issues, intellectual property, and managing relationships with funding agencies, industrial partners and internally within the university.
- Sean Dorgan Sean Dorgan is Chairman of the Governing Body of Dublin Institute of Technology, Tesco Ireland and Ulster Bank Group.
- Eamonn Sinnott General Manager Intel Ireland
- Gina Quin CEO, Dublin Chamber of Commerce
- Julie O Neill President of IBEC and General Manager of Gilead Sciences in Ireland.
- Dr Ludo Deferm Sean Dorgan is Chairman of the Governing Body of Dublin Institute of Technology, Tesco Ireland and Ulster Bank Group.
- Paul Thurk Managing Director with ARCH Venture Partners
- Prof James Lunney Investigator in CRANN.
- Prof Clive Williams Fellow of Trinity College, and a Member of the Royal Irish Academy.
- Prof Sylvia Draper Chemistry Investigator
- Mary Harney Chair of AMBER board
- Prof John Donegan CRANN Deputy Director.
- Professor Stefano SanvitoDirector of CRANN
Scientific Advisory Board
The Scientific Advisory Board is comprised of an exceptional group of international scientists with both industrial and academic backgrounds and a range of interests and expertise which span the full spectrum of scientific disciplines, with a particular focus on expertise in the core research themes of CRANN.
The remit of the SAB is to:
- Provide a critical review of current CRANN research results
- Advise on strategic direction of CRANN research
- Provide independent scientific advice to the Director on specific scientific issues, including peer review
- Support and champion CRANN and its research
- Advise on commercial possibilities of IP generated from the research in CRANN
- Dr David Awschalom David Awschalom is a professor of physics, electrical, and computer engineering at the University of California, Santa Barbara and the Peter J. Clarke Director of the California NanoSystems Institute.
- Sir Richard Friend Cavendish Professor of Physics at the Department of Physics, University of Cambridge.
- Prof George Malliaras Head of the Department of Bioelectronics (BEL) at the Centre Microélectronique de Provence of the Ecole Nationale Supérieure des Mines de Saint Etienne.
- Prof Seeram Ramakrishna Professor of materials engineering and Director of Center for Nanofibers & Nanotechnology at the National University of Singapore.
- Prof Michal Lipson Michal Lipson is an Associate Professor at the School of Electrical and Computer Engineering at Cornell University, Ithaca NY.
- Prof Kevin Shakesheff Professor Kevin Shakesheff is Director of the UK Regenerative Medicine Platform Hub for Acellular Technologies at the University of Nottingham. His scientific career began at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology under a NATO fellowship.
- Dr. Amanda K. Petford-Long Dr. Amanda K. Petford-Long is an Argonne Distinguished Fellow in the Materials Science Division at Argonne National Laboratory. In addition to her own research program, she heads the strategic initiative on Integrated Imaging at Argonne and is a professor in the Materials Science and Engineering Department at Northwestern University, where she is active in graduate teaching.