In a professional team-based environment, we each bring a unique combination of strengths, weaknesses, expertise, skills, interests, experience, personality, and prejudice to a given project or activity. The way team members interact can have a significant impact on team performance and cohesion.
A high-performing team will always strive for something greater than its members could achieve individually and such a team is characterised by specific factors and behaviours. Facilitating, encouraging and rewarding these behaviours increases the likelihood of a successful project outcome. Understanding and managing team dynamics can help to explain why some teams perform while others fail.
This Masterclass will develop your understanding of team roles and the characteristics of high-performance teams. You will focus on two specific team dynamics - team trust and team purpose and identify ways to enhance both. You will also learn how to identify and alleviate team dysfunction.The Masterclass is offered in two formats:
- Taster Session
Completion of the Taster Session is not a pre-requisite for Masterclass participation.
Taster Session (1 x 1- hour online workshop)Topics:
- Team formation, development and roles;
- Moving from working group to a high-performance team;
- Analysis of teams you are familiar with or part of - are you a working group, a true team, or a high-performance team?
- An understanding of the role that Team Dynamics play in an effective working team;
- The ability to identify a high-performing team and the characteristics of high-performing teams.
Masterclass (1 x 3-hour online workshop)Topics:
- Team roles, composition of membership and the team charter;
- Team purpose and clarity - common goals, purpose and approach;
- Communication, accountability and team culture;
- The 5 dysfunctions of a team, and how to manage them;
- Team trust, proving competence, integrity and benevolence.
- Recognise the importance of positive team dynamics in creating synergetic and successful teams;
- Analyse the role that trust and purpose play in high-performing teams;
- Apply tools and strategies to help identify and alleviate team dysfunction.
Who is this Masterclass for?The Taster Session and Masterclass are designed for anyone working within a team environment in a business, educational, community, problem-solving or restorative environment. It is suitable for project managers, people managers, change agents, team leaders, consultants and facilitators.
Who teaches the Masterclass?Jess Hayden BA, MSc
Jess is an organisational psychologist who works with clients who are trying to break boundaries. Jess helps prepare leaders and teams to withstand challenging situations at work and find their optimum performance environment using tools and evidence from emotional intelligence, decision-making and innovation research.
Lucy McKenna BA, MA
Lucy is a learning designer, facilitator and coach, with a focus on innovation and change. Lucy has extensive experience designing impactful programmes that take individuals and teams on a journey from reflection to action. Drawing on research and tools from coaching and design she facilitates leaders to push outside their comfort zone and tackle challenges in innovative and creative ways.
How is the Masterclass delivered?
Taster Session: 1 hour interactive online webinar.
Masterclass: One 3-hour (morning) interactive online live webinar.
All participants need to have a computer with microphone and video capability.
Course FeesTaster Session: Limited number of free sponsored places. Masterclass: € Available on request
Masterclass: Dates available on request, 1 x 3 hours total
This Masterclass is also delivered as part of our 8-week Leading Innovation programme.