Sustainability is as much about people as it is about energy and economics. This course introduces participants to a sociotechnical systems model of sustainable organisations, contextualising the organisation’s role between individual decision-making and the services, infrastructure, technology and policies in society. This programme is CPD Approved by Engineers Ireland.
The course aims to provide students with:
- An understanding of what the sustainability of an organisation is and how it can be measured.
- The ability to conceptualise the organisation as a sociotechnical system with sustainability as a key outcome.
- An understanding of the psychosocial, organisational, contextual, and societal factors influencing sustainable behaviours.
- An appreciation of leadership and change management strategies needed to design and deliver effective sustainability initiatives.
What topics will you cover?
- Sustainability and the role of organisations
- Systems thinking and sustainability
- How can my organisation become more sustainable?
- Change management, leadership and sustainability initiatives
- Social psychology and sustainability.
- Individual psychology and sustainability.
- Design for sustainability
Who is this course for?
Sustainable organisation consultants, sustainability managers or those with specific sustainability responsibilities in their organisation, e.g. sustainable travel. The course is also suitable for participants who may wish to pursue a future role in the area of sustainability.
Note: this course is not industry specific. The knowledge gained can be applied to any industry sector, such as transport (rail, aviation, maritime), food, tourism, hospitality, logistics, finance etc.
Who teaches the course?
Assistant Professor Sam Cromie and Assistant Professor Siobhán Corrigan along with relevant industry professionals where applicable.
Course Delivery & Timetable
This is a seven-week course divided into seven sessions. Each session is designed to be completed over the course of a week and will comprise several offline learning elements complemented with a one-hour live webinar (evening). The webinar and study material will be accessed via our student learning platform, Blackboard.
The one hour live webinars usually take place from 5.30pm pm to 6.30pm (Irish time) on Thursdays.
Additional participant information
For the best online experience, we recommend the use of Chrome as your default browser, along with a USB (or other) headset with built in microphone. Each live webinar will last one hour. Outside of this you can also expect to spend additional time completing pre session material, such as watching introduction videos or preparing some questions for discussion.
Certificate of completion
This course will run over a 7 week period (dates to be confirmed). On successful completion participants will be provided with a Certificate of Completion. Note class attendance will be recorded.
Trinity College Dublin is an Engineers Ireland Registered Training Provider. This programme is CPD Approved by Engineers Ireland.
Green Tech Skillnet 30% Tuition Grant
Trinity College Dublin have been approved for the design, development, and delivery of Sustainable Green Organisations training services to the Green Tech Skillnet. Under this scheme eligible applicants may be able to avail of a 30% discount on the tuition costs for this course. This would give an overall tuition fee of €1,050.
If you would like to check if you are eligible to commence a place on this course with a discounted fee, please contact me directly.
The eligibility criteria as set out by the Green Tech Skillnet are as follows:
Key requirements regarding the eligibility of businesses to participate in funding.
- Companies must be from private enterprise based in the Republic of Ireland.
- Skillnet Ireland funding is not available to public sector bodies or organisations that are publicly funded such as community-based not-for-profit companies or charities.
- Commercial semi-state companies are eligible providing that income contributed to a Network is not sourced from the public purse.
- Sole traders are eligible as Companies.
Key requirements regarding the Trainees:
- Trainees must be based in the Republic of Ireland to be eligible.
- Trainees must be employed within private enterprise.
- Green Tech Skillnet are required to collect data on the profile of trainees supported and record this data for Skillnet Ireland.
The one hour live webinars will take place from 5.30pm to 6.30pm (Irish time) on Thursdays on the following dates starting in January 2023. (2023) January 26th, February 2nd, 9th, 16th, 23rd, March 2nd, 9th.
How do I register and pay for the course?
Registration for this course is by means of PayPal. The course fee of €1,500 includes access to the course materials via Blackboard (Trinity’s Virtual Learning Environment) for the duration of the course. Please note that participation in this CPD course does not include access to the Trinity Library or any other student services (including a student identity card).
Get in Touch
Email Paula / Rory at firstname.lastname@example.org
Register Your Interest
Register your interest at Trinity College Dublin, the University of Dublin.
As Ireland’s leading university, we offer a wide range of postgraduate programmes at masters, diploma and certificate level.
Trinity is an international university steeped in history, with a reputation for excellence in education, research and innovation.