CPD in Statistical Thinking for Social Data Analysis
The CPD in Statistical Thinking for Social Data Analysis will provide participants with an understanding of key statistical and econometric methods used to analyse social data and how to implement them using the statistical software package R. The CPD overviews key statistical concepts necessary to analyse social data, introduces participants to regression analysis and demonstrates the use of these methods with practical applications. On successful completion of the CPD, participants will be able to:
- Explain and apply statistical terminology to the analysis of social data
- Formulate questions in the language and abstractions of statistics
- Solve simple problems related to the topics in the CPD
- Conduct their own basic statistical analysis using R
On successful completion of the CPD, students will receive a Certificate of Completion.
What topics will you cover?
The first part of Statistical Thinking for Social Data Analysis reviews key statistical concepts necessary to analyse social data, such as graphical and numerical data description; probability theory; discrete and continuous random variables; sampling; confidence intervals; hypothesis testing.
The second part of the CPD introduces participants to basic multiple regression analysis, modelling of non-linear relationships, and dummy variables.
The CPD has an applied focus, demonstrating the use of these methods with practical applications using real world datasets and using the statistical software package R.
Who is this course for?
The target learner cohort are participants working in the private sector, for example ITC, finance, banking sectors. Participants are expected to have basic computer skills and some quantitative experience through prior training e.g. degree or equivalent experience. Participants should also have access to a laptop with camera and a microphone.
Who teaches the course?
Department of Economics, School of Social Sciences and Philosophy, Trinity College Dublin.
Choose your Delivery Mode
1. The CPD will be delivered over 5 consecutive weeks with one 5-hour session each week during the day on campus, in Trinity College Dublin (1 day X 5 weeks X 5 hours). This will be preceded by 2 hours of preparatory online instruction. Additionally participants will undertake 20 hours of self study over the course of the programme and complete a combination of in-class and 1 take home exercise. One additional week will be included for submitting CPD exercises.
Mode of delivery 1 Start Date: 7 February 2022
Mode of delivery 1 End Date: 14 March 2022
2. The CPD will be delivered through a week-long, intensive programme (5 days X 5 hours) during the day on campus, in Trinity College Dublin. This will be preceded by 2 hours preparatory online instruction. Additionally participants will undertake 20 hours self study over the course of the intensive programme and complete a combination of in class and 1 take home exercise. One additional week will be included for submitting CPD exercises. In order to be awarded the Certificate of Completion in Applied Behavioural Science participants will need to have completed all required CPD exercises.
Mode of delivery 2 Start Date: 22 August 2022
Mode of delivery 2 End Date: 2 September 2022
Enrol now - Closing date 31st January 2022
Places are limited as class sizes are small, up to 30 per class so you can enrol now to secure your place or send us an enquiry if you have any questions.
You can enrol on the course directly via the PayPal link below by selecting which mode of delivery you wish to take (5 consecutive weeks or one week intensive). The course fee of €2,000 includes access to the course materials via Blackboard (Trinity’s Virtual Learning Environment) for the duration of the course. Please note that participation in this CPD course does not include access to the Trinity Library or any other student services (including a student identity card). For employers wishing to pay for employees' registration via invoice, please contact Ms Sarah Smullen at email@example.com
CPD in Statistical Thinking for Social Data Analysis (5 Consecutive weeks) Price €2,000
CPD in Statistical Thinking for Social Data Analysis (Week Long Intensive) Price €2,000
Learn More - Submit an enquiry
Please contact Sarah Smullen, HCI Administration Officer in the School of Social Sciences and Philosophy at firstname.lastname@example.org for further details about applying for the CPD.For further details about the content of the CPD, you can contact the CPD coordinator, Prof Selim Gulesci at email@example.com