CPD in Applied Machine Learning Using Social Data
The CPD in Applied Machine Learning Using Social Data introduces students to applied computational methods in the social sciences. There will be a significant emphasis on machine learning (ML) applications. Students will be able to apply common machine learning tools to answer social science questions.
Students of the course will learn how to analyse and build machine learning tools for problems that they encounter on the job using R, which is an open-sourced, free, and cutting-edge programming language.
On successful completion of this module students will be able to:
- Understand the fundamentals of machine learning methods.
- Describe the statistical theory behind widely used supervised and unsupervised machine learning methods
- Explain the variety of machine learning methods available for social science research and an ability to discern appropriate usage for a variety of research questions.
- Identify appropriate machine learning methods to address a variety of research questions.
On successful completion of the CPD, students will receive a Certificate of Completion.
What topics will you cover?
The Applied Machine Learning Using Social Data CPD will introduce participants to the basics of machine learning applications, specifically with a hands-on curriculum aimed at developing knowledge and skills in establishing ML pipelines with state-of-the-art toolkits. Participants will integrate supervised and unsupervised methods for classification and prediction with social science data in a research exercise at the end of the CPD. Participants will also be introduced to practical quantitative text analysis methods using real world datasets.
Who is this course for?
The CPD is designed for participants with basic prior experience in computer programming, with a focus on setting up an effective pipeline for processing datasets to execute common ML techniques to answer social science questions. Participants need to have some background in quantitative research methods e.g. degree or equivalent experience acquired in workplace setting. Participants are expected to have a working knowledge of the R programming language. The target learner cohort are participants working in the private sector, for example ITC, finance, banking sectors. Participants should also have access to a laptop with camera and a microphone.
Who teaches the course?
Assistant Professor Jeffrey Ziegler, Department of Political Science, School of Social Sciences and Philosophy, Trinity College Dublin.
Choose your Delivery Mode
1. The CPD will be delivered over 5 consecutive weeks with one 5-hour session each week during the day on campus, in Trinity College Dublin (1 day X 5 weeks X 5 hours). This will be preceded by 2 hours of preparatory online instruction. Additionally participants will undertake 20 hours of self study over the course of the programme and complete a combination of in-class and 1 take home exercise. One additional week will be included for submitting CPD exercises.
Mode of delivery 1 Start Date: 28 February 2022
Mode of delivery 1 End Date: 4 April 2022
2. The CPD will be delivered through a week-long, intensive programme (5 days X 5 hours) during the day on campus, in Trinity College Dublin. This will be preceded by 2 hours preparatory online instruction. Additionally participants will undertake 20 hours self study over the course of the intensive programme and complete a combination of in class and 1 take home exercise. One additional week will be included for submitting CPD exercises. In order to be awarded the Certificate of Completion in Applied Behavioural Science participants will need to have completed all required CPD exercises.
Mode of delivery 2 Start Date: 29 August 2022
Mode of delivery 2 End Date: 9 September 2022
Enrol now - Closing date 31st January 2022
Places are limited as class sizes are small, up to 30 per class so you can enrol now to secure your place or send us an enquiry if you have any questions.
You can enrol on the course directly via the PayPal link below by selecting which mode of delivery you wish to take (5 consecutive weeks or one week intensive). The course fee of €2,000 includes access to the course materials via Blackboard (Trinity’s Virtual Learning Environment) for the duration of the course. Please note that participation in this CPD course does not include access to the Trinity Library or any other student services (including a student identity card). For employers wishing to pay for employees' registration via invoice, please contact Ms Sarah Smullen at email@example.com
CPD in Applied Machine Learning Using Social Data (5 Consecutive weeks) Price €2,000CPD in Applied Machine Learning Using Social Data (Week long intensive) Price €2,000
Learn More - Submit an enquiry
You can contact Sarah Smullen, HCI Administration Officer in the School of Social Sciences and Philosophy at firstname.lastname@example.org for further details about applying for the module. For further details about the content of the module, you can contact the module lecturer, Dr Jeffrey Ziegler at email@example.com