CL7072 PG Reading Latin
In this module students will complete the study of the textbook and study less common morphology, more complex syntax, and expand their vocabulary. Translation skills will be practiced through supervised reading of original Latin texts.
- Module Organisers:
- Professor Anna Chahoud and Dr Charlie Kerrigan
- Semester II (Jan-Apr)
- Contact Hours:
- 22 (2 hours p.w.)
- 5 ECTS
- 100% continuous assessment (three in-class tests in weeks 6, 9 and 12)
- Either CL7071 PG Elementary Latin, or previous experience of Latin subject to Coordinator’s approval. Students with Leaving Certificate or equivalent in Latin may not enrol in this module.
The module is taught in small groups through two weekly classes in Hilary Term (Semester II). Attendance, homework assignments and preparation for each class are compulsory.
- E. Dickey, Learning Latin from the Romans (Cambridge 2018)
On successful conclusion of this module, students will be able to:
- Manage an extensive Latin vocabulary.
- Recognise and analyse all the main features of Latin grammar and syntax.
- Translate and analyse seen Latin texts with no vocabulary aid.
- Translate short passages of English prose into Latin with minimum vocabulary aid.