CL7072 PG Reading Latin
Building on previously acquired elementary language skills, this module aims to broaden and consolidate student’s grammatical knowledge while introducing unadapted Classical, Late Latin and/or Medieval Latin texts.
- Module Organiser:
- Prof Anna Chahoud
- Semester II (Jan-Apr)
- Contact Hours:
- 22 (2 hours p.w.)
- 5 ECTS
- 100% continuous assessment (four written tests)
- Either CL7071 PG Elementary Latin, or previous experience of Latin subject to Coordinator’s approval. Students with Leaving Certificate or equivalent in Latin may not enrol in this module.
The module is taught in small groups through two weekly classes in Hilary Term (Semester II). Attendance, homework assignments and preparation for each class are compulsory.
- Wheelock’s Latin, 7th edition (Collins, 2011)
On successful conclusion of this module, students will be able to:
- Manage an extensive Latin vocabulary.
- Recognise and analyse all the main features of Latin grammar and syntax.
- Translate and analyse seen Latin texts with no vocabulary aid.
- Translate short passages of English prose into Latin with minimum vocabulary aid.