CL7073 PG Latin Language
This module is intended primarily for students who wish to take the study of Latin further, and aims to support independent reading of unadapted literary and/or documentary Latin. The module requires continuing independent revision of Latin grammar and translation of Latin texts of limited difficulty, with the aid of a single contact hour to address difficulties and questions.
- Module Organiser:
- Prof Anna Chahoud
- Semester II (Jan-Apr)
- Contact Hours:
- 11 (1 hours p.w.)
- 5 ECTS
- 20% continuous assessment (two written tests under exam conditions in weeks 6 and 12) and 80% end of year one-and-a-half-hour written examination (two passages for unseen translation, one prose and one verse).
- Either CL7071 Elementary Latin, or previous experience of Latin including Leaving Certificate or equivalent, subject to Coordinator’s approval.
The module is taught in small groups through one weekly class in Hilary Term (Semester II). Attendance, homework assignments and preparation for each class are compulsory.
- Materials for translation will be handed out in class.
On successful conclusion of this module, students will be able to:
- Manage an extensive Latin vocabulary.
- Recognise and analyse complex grammatical and syntactical structures.
- Translate and analyse unseen original Latin texts with minimum vocabulary aid.