BUU44552 Digital Marketing
(5 ECTS credits)
BUU33700 & BUU33710
The module aims to empower future marketers with a fundamental understanding of digital marketing tools and techniques and help them to become proficient in digital marketing practice. Practical assignment will include the development of a digital marketing plan for a hypothetical company by formulating a digital marketing strategy, including the planning of campaigns which may include Google AdWords, display, retargeting, social media, performing search engine optimization and UX recommendations to the company’s website. (Sounds great)
Learning and Teaching Approach:
The module will be delivered in a series of eleven 2 hour lectures over the term and eleven 1 hour tutorials. The sessions will be either online, hybrid or face-to-face depending on current guidelines and policy at the time of delivery. Most materials will also be available online and/or recorded for review and for those not physically attending campus.
Topics to be covered
- Introduction to Digital Marketing
- The Digital Marketer’s Toolbox & Website Audits
- Digital Marketing Strategy & Campaign Planning
- Introduction to Google Search Advertising
- Introduction to Google Display Advertising
- Introduction to Search Engine Optimisation and Wordpress
- Introduction to Google Analytics
- Consumer Psychology, Landing Pages & User Experience
- Introduction to Social Media Marketing
- Social Media Advertising on Facebook & Instagram
- Optimising Digital Marketing Campaigns
- Undertake digital research and audits of a website to assess adherence to best practice requirements for digital marketing
- Become proficient is the use of digital marketing techniques including search engine advertising, search engine optimisation and social media marketing / advertising
- Develop and plan a digital marketing campaign using a broad spectrum of digital marketing techniques
- Measure the effectiveness of digital marketing campaigns using web analytics tools
- Report findings to stakeholders in an appropriate business report format.
Recommended Texts/Key Reading:
No required core course textbook
General Supplementary Readings
Digital Marketing Strategy 2e, Kingsworth
Direct, Digital and Data Driven Marketing 5e, Spiller
Understanding Digital Marketing, 5th Ed., Ryan
Marketing, 5e Baines
Digital Marketing: Strategy, Implementation and Practice, Chaffey
Assessment and Examination:
Google Certifications (20%)
Take and pass two google online certifications.
Student’s must screenshot their score and provide the certification to avail of the marks.
You must take the following:
Fundamentals of Digital Marketing + Certification
Blog Article (20%)
Write, optimise and publish a blog article on Wordpress
You will be required to write a 500-word blog article and publish the article on a Wordpress website (provided by the lecturer). You will be require to source appropriate open source creative commons imagery and to SEO optimise the post using techniques discussed in the class. Marks will be awarded for the content, style and readability of the article as well as how the student has optimised the post for SEO and User Experience readiness.
Digital Marketing Plan (60%)
Develop and plan a digital marketing campaign for a company
Students will be placed into teams. Each group will be assigned a hypothetical case study or SME (depending on COVID-19 situation) and will have to develop a digital marketing strategy / campaign for the company. This will include research and audit of the website, development of a strategy and the planning of campaigns in Google AdWords, Social Media and SEO strategy.