BUU44551 Advances in Marketing Theory and Practice
(5 ECTS credits)
Dr. Farhoodeh Zamani
This module builds on previous engagement with marketing and consumer behaviour concepts by examining diverse markets in more depth, understanding how they present challenges that move beyond marketing management. These challenges involve different areas of marketing theory and practice of today at advanced level, including strategic views in marketing and digital marketing, marketing analytics, content marketing and multi channel marketing, as well as agile marketing, sustainability and managerial and data driven challenges of marketing. Students will engage with theoretical and often historical readings, and apply them to contemporary, real-world marketing and consumer issues.
Learning and Teaching Approach:
This module is suited to students who enjoy applying theory to practice and who are interested in both the history and the future of marketing and consumer behaviour.
Classes will involve a mixture of lectures, discussions, examples and questions. New theories will be applied as lenses to understand everyday marketing and consumer behaviour in more analytical depth, and everyday issues will be subjected to theorisation.
- Develop a more in depth understanding of the importance of strategic perspective in marketing practices of today, from company, competition and consumer side, for digital and non-digital marketing
- Understand and critique the content marketing, multi-channel marketing and marketing analytics theories and extrapolate the theories into practices
- Understand, investigate and analyze the managerial challenges of contemporary marketing, and critically evaluate and act upon
- Further develop skills such as group work, and academic essay writing through assignment
- Develop a deep insight into areas of agile marketing and sustainability, and provide new context for practice of marketing in these areas.
Recommended Texts/Key Reading:
There are no required textbooks. Students will be assigned mainly academic journal articles which will be uploaded on Blackboard. Other required resources will also be linked through Blackboard each relevant week
BUU33700 Contemporary Marketing Management
BUU33710 Consumer Behaviour
Assessment and Examination:
Coursework to be submitted on Blackboard. For group work, each group member should submit a copy of the entire portfolio.
- Individual Written Assignment (70%)
- Group Project Assignment (30%)
Full details for each assignment will be posted to Blackboard